Subcategory Proposal: Wax Statues

Under the Things>Machines category.

Once upon a time the common thing to see at touristy places was a wax statue press. Now many of these things have been taken down, but they are still out there. I'd like to get waypoints for these few remaining machines as well as what they make (pictures if possible). Kinda like the smashed pennies subcategory, just way more cool.

I have a weener mobile statue but I don't have a reliable digital camera to get it online, I'll see what I can do... was really hoping that other people remembered them... they used to be everywhere tourists would be, particularly zoos. I got my weener mobile at the ford museum. Unfortunately I think they've kind of died out due to the penny presses and because the wax is a little expensive, not to mention the dangers of giving a child a hot wax statue to play with! All the same they are dang cool and still around some places.

I'll try to get a picture of my weener mobile to post here over the weekend.

Yes, I too remember them. There was one at the Philadelphia famous "Franklin Institute" When I was a child I remember that what came out was indeed hot but I do not remember what statue I bought as that was some 40 years ago. My memory might be faulty but I think it was a rather large machine. Not at all like the Penny Smashers.

yeah the machines are quite a bit bigger, but the purpose was basically teh same as the penny smashers.. some unique souvenir that is usually tailored to the touristy spot. They probably make more off the penny smashers and the penny smashers are less dangerous and obviously are a smaller footprint... essentially most of the places that had the wax machines took em out and replaced them with penny smashers... that is kind of why I make the comparison... same purpose and in most cases, same spot.