Adapter Issues

Good evening class! I just purchased a Garmin Etrex Legend this evening complete with the PC serial cable and software. The only problem is my notebook computer does not have a female 9 pin adapter. I see online that there are USB / serial 9 pin adapter cables available and I am curious to know of these cables are compatable with the Garmin GPS? Any info will be greatly appreciated. :)

Or how about a gender changer adapter. Would that work also?

Edited by The Mighty Nimbus

As I mentioned someplace else here, I have a USB-serial converter that I got from Belkin (www.belkin.com). It works fine with my Garmin emap and another serial device I have. I don't see why it wouldn't work with another serial GPS. (However, you should be aware that it will have the data rate limitations of a serial connection. I should probably point out that I found that rate to be too slow for transferring 128 MB of data. I don't think it was a problem with the converter itself, but more a problem of Windows can't be expected to maintain a stable serial connection for 6 hours. I don't think things would've worked any better if my laptop actually had an intrinsic serial port. I talked to Garmin and they seemed to agree--so I bought their USB card programmer. It works really well.)

Edited by ghs

I had the same issue with my Vista after I bought a new computer with no serial port. I bought an adapter at eBay that worked like a charm and saved a quite a few bucks. I'm not sure I'm supposed to put a link to an auction here. ?? But I'll be glad to tell you exactly what I bought if you contact me.

Kelly