Best Etrex Legend Setup

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired an Etrex Legend (monochrome) and was wondering what users consider the ideal setup combo of software, etc. I am a full member of geocachcing.com, and download GPX files for my own 76cs, but the Legend doesn't have nearly as many features.

Will the Legend use GPX files, or .loc only?

Everyon'e opinions are welcomed.

Thank you.

I vote for EASYGPS. It'll open .loc & .gpx files too, it installs easily, and it won't nag you for money either.

Just an FYI - I could not get EasyGPS to connect to my Legend. I tried everything, but came up blank. GSAK connected immediately.

As far as the "nag for money" comment - if it's valuable/useful software I don't mind paying for it. Having done software development for many years I know how much work goes into good products.

Not trying to start a freeware vs. shareware war... just my 2 cents...

-al

I have an b/w Legend and regularly use both programs. I can't imagine being without either one.

I use EasyGPS to backup my waypoints from the gps to the computer and also to quickly load one or two waypoints to the gps (for example when a new cache comes out).

I use GSAK to manage large numbers of waypoints which can be sorted and loaded into my old Handspring PDA or into the gps. I like that I can easily assign different waypoint icons to different cache types.

I've loaded all the unfound caches in my local area into the gps so when I drive around and see a cache nearby I can tell if its a micro, vert, puzzle,multi or whatever. I've found alot more caches since a started doing this.

I didn't have any trouble getting either program to connect to the gps, although I've seen issues with other programs tying up the serial port, USAPhotomaps and the pda hotsink can do this.

For me, the $20 for GSAK was money well spent.

Hope this helps.