Need Help From Garmin Etrex Venture Users

RockPlant

To all the Garmin users out there I have only used Magellan unit and I need some help with questions about a Garmin product. One of my friends wants to get her boyfriend a GPS unit that is a good basic unit and wants to spend about $150. I am going to suggest the eTrex Venture. I have looked around and for the money it appears to be one of the better units. She would like for him to get into GeoCaching and he is an avid fisherman. Would this be a good beginners model?

Thanks,

Rock Plant

To all the Garmin users out there I have only used Magellan unit and I need some help with questions about a Garmin product. One of my friends wants to get her boyfriend a GPS unit that is a good basic unit and wants to spend about $150. I am going to suggest the eTrex Venture. I have looked around and for the money it appears to be one of the better units. She would like for him to get into GeoCaching and he is an avid fisherman. Would this be a good beginners model?

Thanks,

Rock Plant

THe Garmin Venture is one of the earler versions of the e-trex series. THe $150.00 prices so to much for that GPS. For a few dollars more you can get the Magellan Explorist 210.

THe 210 has 22MB if memorywill support a detailed map display, the Venture will not.

THe 210 has a newer receiver, the Venture has been known to problimatic under heavy tree cover

The Garmin Legend would be better than the Venture and can be found for less than $150.00 but the Legend will have the came problems as the Venture under tree cover and only has 8MB of memory for map storage.

THe Explorsit 210 uses USB data transfer the Legend does not.

If you are not going to invest $100 dollars on mapping software or $50 for POI software, then it doesn't matter how much memory the unit has because you aren't going to use it. And having a USB port over a Serial port doesn't matter if you are not going to upload maps. Even a slow serial port will upload 100 waypoints within a few seconds.

All units will lose reception in dense environments and all units from the $70 Lowrance to the $600 Garmin are just as accurate in finding caches.

---Ranting done, time for answer---

Any unit will suffice for geocaching. You probably will want a unit that can upload/download to your computer so you don't have to type in the coordinates to each cache. The Venture connects to your computer via serial cable.

The Venture would make a fine unit for fishing and geocaching if that is what she is going to use it for. You can get them online for about $115 by searching froogle but if you are like me, I rather buy from a real retailer where I can return the unit directly if there is a problem rather then dealing with the mail.

If you are not going to invest $100 dollars on mapping software or $50 for POI software, then it doesn't matter how much memory the unit has because you aren't going to use it. And having a USB port over a Serial port doesn't matter if you are not going to upload maps. Even a slow serial port will upload 100 waypoints within a few seconds.

So you're saying that since she's not gonna be using it, that her freind should get a lesser gift for someone? :huh:

Puh-LEEeeeeez!

The gift recipient may or may not want to get the map software. How much nicer for the guy to be able to

make that decision for himself rather than WISH he could. And the Legend does come with a built-in basemap of major roads - the Venture doesn't. I'd say that's worth the few dollars more :)

Back in the day, the Legend was one of the most popular Garmin handhelds. The Venture was not. The difference in popularity is for a good reason. Oh, and BTW, the Legend does not have a USB interface either - that would be the Legend's distant cousin the LEGENDC. The Legend only has a serial data connection just like the Venture.

Edited by Neo_Geo