New Log Type Request - Travel Bug Check

TeamRJMK

I suggest a new log type - Travel Bug Check. (or Travel Bug Inventory?)

Here's how it would work:

* someone visits a cache and checks on the travel bugs while there

* they write a "Travel Bug Check Log" listing which bugs were there or missing (vs. the listed bugs in a cache)

* emails are sent to the normal people (cache owner and watch list) and to all owners of travel bugs listed in the cache

* status logs are placed on the TB page so anyone watching the TB gets the message as well

This would be an easy way to notify TB owners about how their bugs are doing during their visit without the logger having to go and click through to each one individually. This would be particularly useful when reporting a TB is missing. I could see "hotel" owners offering to do this every couple of weeks or so as a courtesy to their guests....

It wouldn't notify a bug owner if it was in the cache but not on the page... maybe an extra place to list the additional secret codes to send the message?

Thanks for the consideration,

~J of TeamRJMK~

My opinion:

Nice idea, but...

My TB gets placed in a cache that gets a lot of traffic and then picked up by someone on vacation who doesn't log that they have it for a week. That same cacher picks up four other TBs.

Many considerate cachers visit the cache that week. They each do a travel bug check.

During that week I could potentially get a dozen or more emails saying that my TB was listed on the page, but not in the cache. Each day I would become more anxious about my TB. The watchlist people are getting those same emails.

The owner of the caches is getting notification of my one TB, multiplied by the number of other TBs that have moved in and out recently under similar circumstances.

Information overload. People stop watching TBs to cut out the junk emails. Cache owners ignore real inquiry messages sent because of the increased email, especially TB motel owners. People stop wanting TBs in their caches because repeated notes on the same TB are a nuisance.

My husband has a cache that gets a lot of travel bugs moving in and out. When he visits the cache--about every three months-- he notes which bugs aren't there that are listed on the page. He glances through the log book to see if anyone mentions them not being there on a certain date, or picking them up, and emails any owners that have TBs that have been gone from the cache for a couple of weeks or langer to let them know who has the TB. He rarely has to email more than one TB owner.

Over time, most TB problems iron themselves out. I see the potential for your suggestion to be very helpful in the case TBs that have really gone AWOL, but it might also cause unwarrented concern for the average TB.

How could that be changed?

I can see the issue about getting too many repeat notices. Ideally, the community would learn to look and not submit a new log if one had been done recently.

I believe that if this is implemented, it should NOT be kept as a "stat" because people keeping count would cause way too many logs.... :D

Alternatively, maybe a choice can be made to "opt out" of receiving these logs.

Here's my example:

I currently have a bug that was reported missing about two weeks ago in the regular log. The previous visitor was there about 3 weeks ago. I just noticed the messages today while randomly checking on my bug. Now, this bug has been mistaken for a trade item before and my guess is that is what has happened here. My plan is to try to track it down with the previous visitors but it would have been easier to do if I had received an email two weeks ago letting me know that it was missing.

I've seen messages in the forums about "why don't they mark the bug missing" when the logs repeatedly indicate that it is no longer there. I believe that the main reason is that the owner just doesn't realize what has happened.

I can see both sides. I still think it would be nice to have but will go along with the community...

~J of TeamRJMK~