Google Maps And My Trip / Route

talasyn

If Google Earth is an option, you may want to try it. Here's what I do. I save my track log on the receiver, then copy it to my computer. I then use GPSBabel to convert the track to a GPX file. I open the track GPX file in Google Earth. I then load the GPX file from my pocket query to show the caches I looked for. The end result is a map showing my track going from cache to cache.

Edited by geognerd

Sorry to sound like a broken record :(, but GPS Visualizer can also create Google Earth files: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=googleearth

GPS Visualizer offers a lot of customizable options for KML files -- including the ability to colorize by altitude, speed, etc.

(Of course, if your file is in a format that GPS Visualizer can't read, like Garmin Mapsource binary, you'll have to convert it to something like GPX first anyway; but I have an on-line gateway to GPSBabel available.

Google Earth Pro allows import of waypoints right into Google Earth

you have to pay $20 but I think it is well worth it

after you import your waypoints, turn on the terrain feature in Google Earth for a 3D view of the your hike. it is very cool!!! remember to turn your angle of the the ground surface in Google earth and you wiil seea 3d viewing of your hike

enjoy :lol:

On my Mac, I just copy the data file from my Lowrance iFinder to a folder on my desktop, and then I can open it in Google Earth. That's thye free version, not the paid one.

Quite a bit happens behinds the scenes to make that happen (e.g. a folder actions triggers an apple scripts to launch GPS Babel...), but in real-world use it couldn't get much simple.