Explorist 600 Or The Like

TERR BEAR

I am looking to buy my first GPS. Several feature I want to have are: electronic compass, realtime lattitude and longitude location displayed (changes when you move), compatibility with MS Streets and Trips 2005 (NMEA 2.0 or higher), and a USB connection (my laptop does not have a RS232 serial port). I had purchased a Garmin Vista C but sent it back because it did not have the realtime location or NMEA output. I believe the eXplorist has all of the features listed above but don't know for sure without purchasing. Websites give skeechy info. Can anybody give me some insight or suggestions? Thanks.

Yes, the 600 will do what you describe. It will send the position data through USB, creating a virtual com port, that is used in programs like S&T. It works this way on my Windows OS, do not know about other OSs. If you do not need the electronic compass (they still have a "compass" that works while you move) you can get the 400, 500 and I believe the 210 eXplorists.

I love the 3 axis compass built in. I don't have to walk in circles to find a cache. Instead it will tell me what direction without moving. It just points the way to go using the built in compass. Way cool in tree cover. Walkto the edge of the bushes find the shortest path in and most direct. Less leaves in the hair and cloths!

Ok, For all the people that own 600's please let me know if the compass screen displays the realtime latitude and longitude of your current possition? As you approach the cache does it constantly update with new coordinates? Also will it provide input to Microsofts Streets and Trips without any other additional cables or sortware interfaces?

Ok, For all the people that own 600's please let me know if the compass screen displays the realtime latitude and longitude of your current possition? As you approach the cache does it constantly update with new coordinates? Also will it provide input to Microsofts Streets and Trips without any other additional cables or sortware interfaces?

Assuming that the 600 has the same compass screen as my 500 (of which I am about 98% sure), there are two data fields on the screen that you can set to whatever is available (e.g., distance to waypoint, accuracy, avg speed, etc.) . Lat/long are *not* among them, and are not elsewhere on the screen...they only appear on the position screen. Those coords would update as they change, but on the position screen there is no way to know which way to go.

The available USB cable should allow the transmission of an NMEA signal to a pc or laptop with S&T or any other NMEA-compliant program.