Unicode In Cache Pages

mrking

Hey,

I am creating a puzzle cache that I am useing some unique text characters for clues. Currently I have to make them jpg's as the description does not allow for unicode. It wold be much better to have the characters in "text" format for the finder to cut and post into google.

Is there a wasy to force unicode characters on web pages?

Mike

Thanks, but it doesn't work.

I try to make a symbol for a greek letter (upside down L)

Greek capital letter gamma...

(entity)Γ

(Decimal)Γ

(Hex) Γ

but it just gives me a capital G insead.

Ideas?

**EDIT** it seems to work with the decmial version on the forum pages, however when I do it on a cache page, it gets converted. I can't link to it as my cache has not been approved yet.

Edited by mrking

I just ran a test trying several HTML entities, and it does look like the version of HTML-Tidy that is being used (or at least somewhere along the processing route) is automatically converting them to Unicode. While this seems to be fine for the standard set of extended characters in European languages (umlauts, accents, ect...), it is converting Greek entities to their Roman equivalent. I guess the old-fashioned jpeg route is all you can do for now.

I wish that Cyrillic characters were available, at least in the logs. There's a 5-star puzzle cache within a two-hour drive (Gorky Park) that I would love to post notes in Russian (translated via Babelfish). Also, I wanted to have a cache with micro written in Greek letters, but no such luck. Fortunately, the mu (micro symbol) is available and I have a cache that uses that.