Travel Bug Question

Henki

I've picked up and dropped off travel bugs before, but this time I picked some up about 1 1/2 hours from my house. I want to log them into a cache near my house so that the mileage will show up, but I don't want to actually drop them into the cache. (Most around here are micros, anyway.)

How do I go about doing this? Would posting a note onto a cache site stating that I'm making a "virtual TB drop" into the cache add mileage to the TB and NOT show it as being in the cache?

Thanks for any info!

You can 'dip' a bug into a cache, that is drop and then immediately retrieve it. However the bug should actually visit the cache even if you didn''t leave it there.

Things like giving bugs true mileage just isn't possible and faking it just isn't in the spirit of the game.

I drive 35 miles to work, go caching, drive home, drive back the next day, go caching again and my personal travel bug will log only three miles, instead of 108. That's just how it works.

Edited by BlueDeuce

One of the bugs has a mission to visit firehouses. There's a firehouse near me, and I was going to take the bug's photo there, then deposit the bug in a large cache elsewhere. I just wanted the mileage to show up where the bug has actually been.

The other bug has a hankering for swimming. I was going to take its photo in the MS River which is at the end of my street, then also deposit it into a large cache elsewhere. Same scenario, just wanted to show where the bug has actually been.

I understand and I too would love to show the exact location it had been, seriously.

It just ain't possible, they still can only be logged from cache to cache.

If I sent out a bug which that kind of goal, I wouldn't be worried about mileage, just that the cacher had fun with it and posted their experience. Logging it close to the location really isn't as important as hearing the story.

But it is still a good question and I'm glad you wanted to try.

edit: you name it

Edited by BlueDeuce