B & B, Youth Hostels

Two related sub-categories under Places/Lodging/

Very popular in North America, Bed & Breakfast accomodations often offer unique historical settings and examples of local culture, frequently off the beaten path. They are highly suited to Waymarking.

In Europe and Asia and other world areas, the Youth Hostel system offers accomodations to adventurous world travelers, meeting places for trekkers -- maybe even geocachers! :)

Basic info for the Waymark:

Number of accomodations

Dates open

Proprietor

Theme or unique features

Nearby Attractions

I suggest calling them variables and not sub Categories

This is what Jeremy thinks of Sub-categories:

"I keep seeing this recommendation for a sub-category. There is no such thing as a proposed sub-category per se. When you make a request for a new waymark category you do just that - Ask for a waymark category to be created and you become the manager.

For example, my wife really enjoys factory tours. So I suggest the waymark category "Factory Tours" and put it through this process. If it goes past 2/3 rule (and possibly, as suggested, passes the veto rights of Groundspeak), it gets listed and the category is transferred. At that point it will be Groundspeak's role to put it in the taxonomy of the site, though suggestions as to where this goes is welcome.

What many folks are asking for in the way of a subcategory is really a waymark variable. For example, a type of blog is an option for the blogger category. With these variables you can further filter out information within that waymark category. They are not broken out into subcategories of Personal, War, etc. blogs.

The process outlined above helps better define the waymark category, which is turning out to be a good idea. It also makes sure the waymark category manager really wants to manage this category or if it is just a whim. From there the category can be further upgraded/downgraded to fit within a certain threshold. For a good example the McDonalds category has been severely downgraded and shouldn't show up in the directory unless you decide to show them all. This is illustrating that even categories that are listed can possibly be downgraded to obscurity."

In Europe and Asia and other world areas, the Youth Hostel system offers accomodations to adventurous world travelers, meeting places for trekkers -- maybe even geocachers! ;)

Is there any interest in setting up a group for Hostels?

Absolutely! If my B&B Category survives peer review, though, I will be at my three max, since I inherited two existing categorys. I'd love to have someone adopt one of them. I do have a friend who is working on a youth hostel proposal, but if someone else is interested . . . .

Thought some of putting these two together, but they are just too differennt, needing different variables, etc.