International Gps And Mapping

A^2

My older brother is heading out to South America in a month or so and is looking for a GPS to accompany him on his journey. He would like one that has more extensive maps, but we don't know is this is available.

I have an eTrex Legend and it does have the basemap for the America's on it. However, I didn't run across any additional maps for my MapSource for South America. Am I just not finding them?

Is there another GPS/software which has better maps than the basemap for South America?

Thanks in advance!

Where at in South America? Any specific country, or is he going to several countries?

I think the Legend's basemap just has the countries' boundary lines. I don't think you'll find any roads, rivers and what not on there. You could get Garmin's WORLDMAP for basemap detail of roads and rivers, etc.

Then there's Garmin's Third party map developers:

Chile

Peru

MAPCENTER has free downloadable home-made maps - several South American countries represented there.

MIGHTYGPS has a few products

Edited by Neo_Geo

He is going to be mostly in Brazil, with some travel into Peru (I believe).

I don't know if WorldMap actually offers anything more than what comes on the Legend... this is from Garmin's site about the Americas basemap which is on the Legend:

The Americas Highway basemap includes the United States, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, and Central and South America, and covers an area from W180 to W30 Longitude, S60 to N75 Latitude. Also included is a high-level worldwide map with political boundaries and major cities.

The standard map coverage includes:

1. Oceans, rivers, and lakes (greater than 30 sq. miles)

2. Principal cities and many smaller cities and towns

3. Major interstates and principal highways

4. Political boundaries (state and international borders)

And this is what WorldMap offers:

Political boundaries, cities, towns, major motorways and/or interstates, and principal highways; lakes, major streams, and rivers; and urban areas and railroads

It seems the difference is slight, if any. I guess I would really like to confirm if there was any real difference (as in, if someone has seen both) before I drop $100+ on WorldMap.

Thanks for the help, though! We really appreciate it.