Problem Editing Cache Listing

vree

i have a problem when trying to edit one of my cache listings. i have tried doing it at several different times, on different computers, different web browsers. can someone help me out? this is the error i get:

Server Error in '/' Application.

String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[sqlException: String or binary data would be truncated.

The statement has been terminated.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +180

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlConnectionManager.ExecuteNonQuery(String sql, Database database) +148

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlGeocacheController.Save(Int64 CacheID, String Nickname, DateTime DatePlaced, Int64 OwnerID, Int64 ApproverID, Double Latitude, Double Longitude, String ContactName, Uri URL, Double TerrainLevel, Double DifficultyLevel, Int32 CountryID, Int32 StateID, Boolean IsHtml, Int32 SiteTypeID, String ShortDescription, String LongDescription, String EncodedHints, Int32 ContainerID, Boolean IsSubscriberOnly, String BackgroundImageURL) +1422

Groundspeak.Web.CustomWpt.Geocache._Save(Int64 CacheID, String Nickname, SimpleUser Owner, Int64 ApproverID, WptBase Wpt, String ContactName, DateTime DatePlaced, Uri URL, Double TerrainLevel, Double DifficultyLevel, Int32 CountryID, Int32 StateID, Boolean IsHtml, Int32 SiteTypeID, String ShortDescription, String LongDescription, String EncodedHints, Int32 ContainerID, Boolean IsSubscriberOnly, String BackgroundImageUrl) +127

Groundspeak.Web.CustomWpt.Geocache.Save() +132

Geocaching.UI.hide_report.UpdateCacheFromForm() +1882

Geocaching.UI.hide_report.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +3848

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +58

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1319

thing is... i am trying to make my cache listing a bit shorter. only happens when i try to edit GCKTPK. i just successfully edited one of my other caches...

any help would be appreciated. thanks!

edit: clarity

Edited by vree
Try it on a Tuesday or Wednesday. The site is bottlenecked on the weekend since so many people are hunting and logging caches.

thanks for the reply, but it doesn't appear to be a server timeout. i have tried it at different times of day, different days of the week with the same result. additionally, i was able to edit one of my other caches moments before.

i'll try it again in the middle of the week though if i don't hear anything else. thanks, tgps. :blink:

Your description is too long. You'll have to reduce the size.

I have fixed this in a patch to be released this week. It has to do with how HTMLTidy corrects the html to be properly formatted. This adds additional characters which makes the page go over the limit. Unfortunately it doesn't recheck the size after it does this.

Your description is too long. You'll have to reduce the size.

I have fixed this in a patch to be released this week. It has to do with how HTMLTidy corrects the html to be properly formatted. This adds additional characters which makes the page go over the limit. Unfortunately it doesn't recheck the size after it does this.

same problem here. keeps happening.

anyway, a warning message about the short description size would be apreciated... I remember getting a warning about exceeding 1500 (?) chars on the short description...