Geocoding Software

Acutian

For those that don't know

Geocoding: Assigning a geographic coordinate, such as a latitude/longitude pair, to a data record (also called geolocating).

hi i am not shur who can answer this but i thought id post it anyways to see what pops up.

Ok I was Wondering! what the best geocoding software is. also if theres is any software that will geocode an address and save it as a waypoint to a gps. just wondering.

Edited by Acutian

OK, this thread is pretty old, but I'm searching exactly the same kind of software. A software which gives me the coordinate for a given adress, and if possible it should give the right coordinates to a list of adresses. I am interested in such a software for german adresses. Does anyone here know which software could do this.

Sorry for the poor english, I'm working on it.

Regards,

pekkka from germany

Pekkka,

There are several web sites that provide geocoding information. One is GPSVisualizer.com. Another is TravelGIS.com, which covers 24 countries including Germany. These aren't programs that you can load onto your PC. They are web-based applications, and TravelGIS makes you go through a manual code entry to keep you from automating your request. It looks like they sell commercial products which may be what you are looking for.

Your English sounds fine to me, but then I am from Texas.

Thank you guys for your answers! I will try the internet sites. What I asked myself is: Is there really no possiblity to use MG or CN in a half automatically way. Well there is the search function in the software and may be for the computer cracks it's possible to write a Makro, Skript or whatever which uses the functionality of the Garmin maps. I don't understand enough to do it myself. I ask myself how the great POI databases got created. I can't believe it was done manually or by visiting the spots. Do you know something about it? Maybe I'll ask someone who's 'nursing' a database at www.pocketnavigation.de.

Regards,

pekkka

PS: And thanks Sputnik for the witty compliment :huh:

Thank you guys for your answers! I will try the internet sites. What I asked myself is: Is there really no possiblity to use MG or CN in a half automatically way. Well there is the search function in the software and may be for the computer cracks it's possible to write a Makro, Skript or whatever which uses the functionality of the Garmin maps. I don't understand enough to do it myself. I ask myself how the great POI databases got created. I can't believe it was done manually or by visiting the spots. Do you know something about it? Maybe I'll ask someone who's 'nursing' a database at www.pocketnavigation.de.

1. Yes, this data is stored in the Garmin IMG files.

2. No, you can't access it easily. At least not the one from the City Navigator files, as these are encrypted and breaking this encryption is illegal. The TOPO maps are not encrypted but the data is quite sparse.

3. Yes, quite an amount of data is gathered by visiting these places. Atlas has trucks driving around with cameras install to record locations.

4. Ever tried Google Maps? They have a nice API.

HTH

Oliver