Soldering Mcx Connector

thcri

I am on my 2nd Gilsson MCX external Antenna. I have the 90 degree one which barely fits the slot in the GPSMap60cs. This being in so tight will wear on where the wire is soldered in. My GPS is kept in a car holder and kept there about 99% of the time so this is why it is frustrating and should not wear out. But instead of paying $50.00 roughly to get a new one again I thought I would try and solder the one I have. I have taken a large solder iron but can't get enough heat to get the old wire out. Has anyone here soldered theirs? and what type of luck did you have?

murph

I keep one of those little butane soldering irons around. Not only is it convienent for remote repairs, say on the car, but it has lots more horsepower and can solder big lugs and RF connectors with no problem. Mine was pretty expensive- uses catalytic converter tips, but I've seen much cheaper ones at RS and Harbor Freight. The local home repair/hardware stores have 'em as well.