Blacberry

wall_banger05

I run a Blackberry BES service at my corporation and that is really required for a lot of the services that are extras for the Blackberry. It has to be provided by your provider or your employer.

However, that still does not allow downloads. The devices are not designed for that. They are really designed for email and PIM functions. The Blackberry 7520 does allow for GPS location service like most GPS enabled phones and bluetooth for headsets.

The other thing is that there are so many Blackberry models all with different capabilities that better answers would be possible if you specified the model.

I have yet to see anything about downloads from the internet, in fact internet browsing (other than WAP based) came late to the Blackberry, just about 18 months ago. If someone else has info on internet downloads I'd be interested as well.

JDandDD

Well, the 7520 is GPS enabled but everything I've read about it indicates that it is for location finding only. However, Nextel in the US say that they have software for it so you might want to check there. Apparently Telus Mobility in Canada is offering the same hardware.

JDandDD

I use my 7100 religiously while i cache. I have tried palm pilots and everything else in the past, but never come anywhere near going paperless before.

The way I do it, I write down the waypoint names for each of the caches I'm going to on a piece of paper (the GCQF4C code). Then I head to my first cache, If I have problems finding it, I use the WAP site (wap.geocaching.com) and look at the entire cache page. Then I look up the next cache, get the cords. and go. I normally set out and do 3-7 caches at a time, depending on the weather and my overall motivation level.

If I am going to an area I worry may not have internet service for my blackberry, I cut and paste the cache pages into an email and send all the information to myself.

I wouldn't worry about blackberry shutting down, the product is too popular and makes too much money. The two companies will work out their issues and won't effect us, the end users.

Blackberry may have to shut down lost law suits related to patent infringments, the company that offers Blackberry has run out of appeals.

Actually far from. They have won seven of 8 patent infringement claims and there is more than a fair chance it will win the 8th. That's not through the courts but patent review which is underway.

As well, the company has announced they have a work around for the 8th infringement and will deploy it if they have to. So, they will not go out of business.

JDandDD