Topo Usa And Magellan Explorist 210

Cowboy59

I would like to know if a Magellan explorist 210 can be connected to my laptop and then real-time tracking provided using Topo USA. I have never used mapping software before and would like to know how this all gets hooked up and communicating via USB. I do not want to buy Topo USA unless I know this works.

Thanks in advance

Topo3D-USA isn't set up to transfer map data via USB, however it CAN receive the NMEA broadcast from the eXplorists. On the eXplorists, you need to select the "Communicate" feature from the "Adv. Features" menu, then select "NMEA Broadcast" and then select "V2.1 GSA." Then, using Topo3D- USA, select "GPS log" from the File Menu structure, and then select "Start." When I've used it, Topo3D-USA has been smart enough to figure out that a NMEA feed is coming in (even though it shows that it is coming in via COM 3 at 4800 baud).

While I haven't used this with an eXplorist 210, I have used this on an eXplorist 500, 600, & XL, and judging from the manual for the 210, I'd say that it works. The surest way to know would be to verify that the 210 can broadcast using "V2.1 GSA" which can be checked via the above method.

Topo3D-USA should be had for less than $70 from most places.

Hope this helps.

Nate

*If* you want to display any maps on your 210, Topo USA is not compatible with the explorist. Loading one of those detailed maps is a good way to freeze up your unit. If you can't use the maps, you should get Topo3D. If you don't *care* about loading detail maps, you should get some third-party software like Streets & Trips...much cheaper.