Geocaching W/o A Gps?

MomzillaSC

Hello all! I'd like to try geocaching with my sons (5 and 3), but I can't invest in a GPS right now. I saw a reference in one thread to people finding caches without a GPS. Any hints for doing so?

For example, I've found a cache listed as a 1/1 that's near a picnic shelter in a nearby state park. It's listed as a medium-sized cache. I've also decrypted the hint. I know I can get myself to the picnic area and thus to the general location of the cache, and it seems that the kids and I can probably find the cache if we look enough. Am I over confident?

I'm new, so treat my advice accordingly....

I downloaded Google Earth & the KML for it which lists all the GC if you Zoom in. The disclaimer says Google Earlth is only accurate to within 100 ft.

I'm guessing that for the GC with difficulty < 2 and good clues you should be able to find them.

Arthur

:D:D

P.S. Don't tell Garmin I told you.......

Many people have found geocaches without a GPS - it depends on the cache (and the details in the description/hint) and the skills of the seekers.

Hint: Enter the coordinates just as they're shown on the cache page (e.g. copy and paste) into Google Maps. By switching between "map" and "satellite" (photos) and zooming in you'll get a very good idea where the cache is!

Edited by Kai Team

You're not overconfident at all. Try using google maps also to get a look at the location on a satellite photo. That will tell you where the hide is relative to buildings, shelters, roads and such.

S and I have used USA Photomaps which is like google maps to find several caches when we didn't have our GPS with us including hard ones like Vista.

My wife showed up at this one without the GPS and called me. I pulled up the satellite photo and told her where the hide was relative to the local buildings. Another cacher showed up with a GPS and started looking also but their GPS was jumping all around. My wife made the FTF grab solely on my description of the hide location over the phone.

It's funny, folks say 'Oh that's not cool, you should see (random superhuman cacher),he's found gazillion with only a map and a compass.' Well... S found it without even having a map or a compass :D

And you can too. If you're in SC please come to a Geoholics Anonymous meeting if you can. Kids are welcome and usually there's kids there.

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

Hey! I have been playing/ adicted since August and have found many caches with out the use of a gps. In fact I just ordered my Magellan Meridian gold Color from a site for $203 (<-boogers just upped the price!! to $224 :D )Merry Christmas to me! If anyones interested they can E-Mail me for the info on that.

As the others have said, use the sattelite maps and avoid "micros" the more you do it it the stronger the "force" will get! Honest! The most improtant thing is to remember your sense of humor!!

~snowfoxrox~

Edit re: price change

Edited by snowfoxrox

Leanne, I have a friend who does geocaching, and she is going to lend me her GPS at some point (not this weekend, as she and her boyfriend are going looking for caches in Charleston). My current plan is to take my boys on a few "treasure hunts", and if they like it, I'll get a GPS for my birthday (in March) or maybe my son's birthday (in July).

my family, well I mostly, got started without using a GPS.

When you are talking a hide that is in a pretty spcific area, not a long hike in the woods, often it can be done with out the use of the GPSr. Without knowing the specific area you are in, it is difficult for more experianced cachers to take a look at those near you and offer suggestions.