Question About The C320

benjamin921

Sorry to say that there is no possible way to view GPS coordinates. I had the C330 for about 1 week and exchanged it for the Nuvi 350 (which I like MUCH better), but even the Nuvi doesn't have this ability. This is a big drawback for these units and Garmin should be ashamed for not including this ability. In their effort to make these units simple, they simply simplified them too much. How much extra code would be used to do this simple task of displaying GPS coordinates anyways? Write to Garmin and complain about this.

You need take into consideration that these units are designed to guide you around a city in your car. They were not designed for geocaching. They are all about putting in addresses, and getting there. Or, asking where the nearest McDonald's is, and getting there. Or getting back to the airport. Garmin figured (and rightly so) why does lat. long coordinates or UTM coordinates matter? The average person who buys a C-330 (or other Streetpilot series) doesn't usually know what lat. long. or UTM even means, let alone what to do with them. They were never intended for "power users".

By the way, I have purchased 2 C-330's as gifts for my kids this year, and neither of them would have a clue what to do with coordinates if they did have them available. In the event of needing to know where you are for emergency services, they report there position in address/street format...That's all EMS needs to get to you in an emergency.

Edited by Alphawolf
You need take into consideration that these units are designed to guide you around a city in your car.  They were not designed for  geocaching.  They are all about putting in addresses, and getting there.  Or, asking where the nearest McDonald's is, and getting there.  Or getting back to the airport.  Garmin figured (and rightly so) why does lat. long coordinates or UTM coordinates matter?  The average person who buys a C-330 (or other Streetpilot series) doesn't usually  know what lat. long. or UTM even means, let alone what to do with them.  They were never intended for "power users".

By the way, I have purchased 2 C-330's as gifts for my kids this year, and neither of them would have a clue what to do with coordinates if they did have them available.  In the event of needing to know where you are for emergency services, they report there position in address/street format...That's all EMS needs to get to you in an emergency.

I had gotten one for one of the local fire departments and they use the coordinates for landing helicoptors. Now they do not have that capibility to do so.

I wish the ambulances would get one though (they seem to get lost often or do not know where a street is) B) Also the EMS crews around here would not need the coordinates like the fire departments would. This would be a perfect unit for them.

They are not the right units for aviation...That's for sure! I hear people say all the time "I wish they would do this, or that or something else", and I reply, "Well, Garmin make one that will do that, but it isn't this model."

People who deal with any kinds of coordinates, for any reasons, were never the intended market for the streepilots. Those folks need to look at some other models, or they're just not going to be happy.

Edited by Alphawolf