Leap Second !

EraSeek

If I wasn't working, I'd throw a party for this one. A leap second party. We could start a tradition.

Ok, here's the deal. At the stroke of midnight on newyear's eve UTC is going to be retarded by one second. One second will last for 2 while GPS time marches merrily on. (Your GPS will adjust.)

Here is a link explaining it: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/UTC_time_step_dec_2005.htm

Now where I would have screwed up is to go out and look at my GPS at midnight, but I figured out that GPS's run on Universal Coordinated Time and just adjust the clock to what time zone I am in..... so.... If I am correct, here in the pacific time zone I'll need to run out and look at my GPS at the stroke of 4pm on the 31st.

Won't you join me in a regional hoot and holler at the stroke of 4pm (1600) 12/31. Honk a horn or blow a whistle or something. Maybe bang a pot and pan together ;)

Won't you join me in a regional hoot and holler at the stroke of 4pm (1600) 12/31. Honk a horn or blow a whistle or something. Maybe bang a pot and pan together :D

Should we all do this for exactly one second?

Hmmm would one second then be two normal seconds?

Will I need to subtract the 20-30 leap seconds to the time of my birth?

Does this mean that people born just before midight are now a day younger?

Oh my world is all messed up now! ;)

Just a note. I expect the leap second at the stroke of 4pm, but, the leap second, or the instructions to your GPS for there to be a leap second comes via the almanac which is continously sent from the satellites over the period of 12 1/2 minutes. So whether it shows up right at 4pm or somewhere in the next 12 1/2 minutes I am not sure.

I guess some older gps's did not store leap seconds and so everytime you turned it on it updated about 13 seconds over the course of the first 12 1/2 minutes.

This is actually a void in time and if you were to leap at the right moment you could slip into another time continuum. My research puts that spot at the geographical center of the state. That so happens to be the listed cordinates to M10's Washington DeLorme Challenge geocache.

This location is just outside of Wenatchee....so close to the time riff that it explains many of the odd behaviors we see from there. Unbeknowing to me we went by this spot in Robinego's geocaching death vechicle. I remember one particular bad bump where we were airborn for a frightening amount of time before we touched down.

I know now that we were very close to getting sucked into the void. There's a large cliff/dropoff, so if everyone were to hold hands and then jump at the exact moment it would no doubt transport you all directly to M10's final cache location and complete your WA DeLorme Challenge run.

I've already finished the WDC, so I'll volunteer to photograph this historic event. If it doesn't work at least I'll have the picture proof how some crazy geocachers disappeared in the blink of an eye.

Bet that will make the front page of Todays Cacher!..........;) Anyone up for the Time Travel Cache?

Oh my world is all messed up now! :ph34r:

Dear Abby,

I think I was born at 10 AM in the CET timezone, I believe they had daylight saving time there, then. When should I celebrate my birthday in the PNW?

Confused,

Shunra

Oh my world is all messed up now! :)

Dear Abby,

I think I was born at 10 AM in the CET timezone, I believe they had daylight saving time there, then. When should I celebrate my birthday in the PNW?

Confused,

Shunra

If I remember CET (Central Europe Time) is GMT + 1 and PST is GMT -8, which would give 9 hours difference so 10AM CET would be the same time as 0100 PST. I may be wrong but I think you can celebrate on the same day. You didn't say what date, so I am assuming both time zones are either on standard time or daylight time. Happy Birthday whenever it is. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT