Initial Impressions

If I rememberr a comment of Jeremy in some thread, any category that does not have subcategories can have waymarks added to it.  Thus, you should be able to create your unique tree as a waymark into the tree/plants category.  If not, then the owner of that category screwed up.  What use is a category if it cannot contain either waymarks or subcategories?

You may have misunderstood (or may not be accurately recalling what Jeremy said).

Here's how this works: categories which do (or will eventually) contain waymarks have owners (right now these owners are just individuals like you or me, but soon this type of ownership will be represented by a group). Categories which serve as part of the directory structure of the Waymarking site (that is, are part of the taxonomy) are 'owned' by the site administrators, and are only ever intended to eventually contain subcategories, not waymarks. An example is the Plants and Trees category.

Many of the categories which are in place today have a long way to go before enough subcategories will be added to them to accommodate the wide range of waymarks which they are intended to eventually hold. This is because the site is young. For example, it seems clear to me that the site admins understand that there are many more subtypes of trees and plants than just the currently available "Millenium Trees" and "Native American Trail Trees", but all the subcategories haven't been set up yet. Until the subcategories are added, some desirable Waymarks may have to wait for their chance to come later.

If you have a waymark in mind for which no category exists, the best approach will be (once new categories are being accepted) to propose an appropriate category into which your waymark will fit, and eventually your waymark should find its home.

One final thing to keep in mind, a general rule of the site is that you won't ever be able to add a Waymark to a category if that category contains (or is intended to someday contain) sub-categories.

Many of the categories which are in place today have a long way to go before enough subcategories will be added to them to accommodate the wide range of waymarks which they are intended to eventually hold. This is because the site is young. For example, it seems clear to me that the site admins understand that there are many more subtypes of trees and plants than just the currently available "Millenium Trees" and "Native American Trail Trees", but all the subcategories haven't been set up yet. Until the subcategories are added, some desirable Waymarks may have to wait for their chance to come later.

This is the reason I suggested in another post that all categories with subcategories should have an Other subcategory. That way anything that fits into the category but not one of the subcategories can be logged in. Once enough similar waymarks have been entered into the Other subcategory the Admin or owner can create a new subcategory for the similar waymarks and move them over.

That way all categories have completeness. And ChapterhouseInc and the rest of us do not have to wait for months or years for an appropriate subcategory to be created to log our seemigly unique waymarks.