Magellin Explorer 400 Sd Card Max Size

While cost will surely come down, the 4Giggers were just announced about six months ago and currently cost about 3x what the x400 does.

See the FAQs below for some idea on respective map coverage size. Someone in the yahoogroups said that a 2GB will hold the continental US with DirectRoute. (He also said that building those bazillion regions drove him crazy, IIRC.)

Still 64MB as mentioned in the FAQs.

i have read other documents which say that the explorer 400 can only handle 16mb regions so which is it 16 or 64?

the 400 also can only handle 200 waypoints with explanations/hints or 500 with out that info correct?

From http://www.mtgc.org/robertlipe/myfaq/Magellan_FAQ.shtml

How big can a region be?

Assuming your receiver has space, each of the 4 regions can be up to 16MB on all Mapsends except DirectRoute and Topo3D, which allow 64MB regions, but allow only one region per file.

Explorist isn't supported by the older products that did the 4/16 thing.

and

What are the limits of waypoints, tracks, and routes?

Waypoints may have eight characters in the name. (Explorist can have twenty.) The first 200 waypoints may have an additional 30 characters stored in 'comments'. (Explorist can have more.) Once those 200 slots have been filled, additional comments are siliently ignored. These limits apply even to the Meridians and Explorist where you can bank switch waypoints via the card

Yes, it's kind of confusing that there are multiple FAQs and it's not always evident what applies to any given model.

How big can a region be?

Assuming your receiver has space, each of the 4 regions can be up to 16MB on all Mapsends except DirectRoute and Topo3D, which allow 64MB regions, but allow only one region per file.

Explorist isn't supported by the older products that did the 4/16 thing.

and

ok so let me clarify real quick

per region i can go upto 64 megs per file, and i can house as many files as i want so long as i have the memory

and memory permitting i can transfer a .wpx file through geocache manager with 3k waypoints if i wanted to

is this correct?

per region i can go upto 64 megs per file, and i can house as many files as i want so long as i have the memory

and memory permitting i can transfer a .wpx file through geocache manager with 3k waypoints if i wanted to

Point 1, yes, except I have the very rare opportunity to correct Robert about Topo 3D maximum file size. I don't know exactly what the size limit is, but it is more than 64MB. (I couldn't find it isted anywhere, I suspect that it is 256 MB or so...I know that I am using a 97MB file with no problems). At any rate, I would suspect that you can do a state per region pretty easily, although Texas and California might bear breaking down into a few parts. The main limitation you have to work with is that regions have to be rectangularly defined.

Point 2, technically you can send a gpx file with thousands of POIs through. However, if I understand how Robert has explained it in the past, it's like pouring 3 gallons of water into an 8 oz. cup. Once it has reached the 200 Geocache POI limit per file, the rest spill into the ethers.

If you are asking about bringing a 3k cache gpx file into Geocache Manager and then parceling it out in 200 POI files, you can send selected POIs into a given file on the explorist. It's clunky, though, and I would strongly recommend GSAK to facilitate your POI management...GSAK/GPSBabel *greatly* facilitate this task.

Edited by embra