Base Maps

timespast

You would have to pay. The Australian basemaps are not free and are "carefully guarded" items. You also can't just buy it -- you'd have to send it in and have it put on.

The Australia Magellan place is called Next Destination. Last I heard, they wanted several hundred dollars to convert a MeriGold or other unit from NA basemap to OZ basemap. I assume it would be similar for the eXplorist line.

- John...

Yes, but most that I have talked to said that WWBasemap was simply not a reasonable alternative to the Australian basemap. As far as Oz coverage goes, all I have heard was complaints about it.

That being said, it is a lot cheaper than having a new basemap put on -- so if it would get you by, then it might be worth doing.

I think you can demo it at Magellan's site -- and see what kind of data there is for the area you want.

- John...

one of my friends has one with australian base maps can i simply use the one's on his GPS? ifso how would i do that.

ive already had to buy

US toppo maps (was n the us for a year and a bit)

Australian Toppo maps so i could use it here

the gps unit

so im trying to keep cost's as low as i can

one of my friends has one with australian base maps can i simply use the one's on his GPS? ifso how would i do that.

ive already had to buy

US toppo maps (was n the us for a year and a bit)

Australian Toppo maps so i could use it here

the gps unit

so im trying to keep cost's as low as i can

Is it physically possible? Probably.

Would it be legal? Not at all.

Therefore, can I tell you how to do it? No, sorry.

I know you are trying to keep costs low -- but that doesn't change the fact that it would still be piracy. Even if we disagree with it (as I might happen to do actually). You can complain to Next Destination in Oz, but they really, really don't care. I've heard several stories of them not caring -- such as when firmware updates have wiped out Australian Basemaps that they then want to charge significant money to replace -- even though it was them that told the person to do the firmware update in the first place.

So, in summary, I disagree with how Next Destination and/or Magellan is handling basemaps for Australia -- but not enough to break the law to "protest" it, sorry.

- John...

I have been jerked around by next destination, told that i should buy another unit and sell the american one, i bought a $400 software package that i was assured would work on all zoom level's replaceing the base map but it doesnt can only zoom out to 2.5km beofre it reverts back to the non existant base map.

im at my wits end and cant justify another $300+ for the base maps