60c And City Select V6

BelleauWood

Please answer a question I have about the "lock on road" feature. While driving with city select v6 on the GPS I sometimes notice that my track is not always "locked" on the road. It will look o.k. while zoomed at 800 ft or 500ft. but when I zoom in further I notice the track at times is off the road. I'm not on a calculated route when this happens, I'm not sure if it happens during a calculated route.

This is not a biggie problem but I am curious shouldn't the track always be locked onto the road if I have that feature selected?

Anyone notice this with your 60 series?

I think you have to be with a certain distance to get it to lock.

Yes, and there may also be a speed threshold. On my eMap the lock-to-road feature only works at speeds of 10 mph or greater. I presume this is so it doesn't continue to show you on the nearby road when you're driving through a parking lot or when walking.

Yet another thing, which may be the cause here, is that you are perhaps looking at the track log, not your current position. The little arrow, which depicts your position relative to the map, should normally be on top of the road, regardless of scale, if lock-on-road is active. That requires you being above the threshold speed (10 knots or so) and moving along the road, not perpendicular to it.

However, the track log is drawn with straight line segments, between the track log points, which is what really gets stored in the track memory. So if the road isn't straight, and most roads aren't (forever), then the track log will place a few points along the curve, and then connect these with straight lines. Hence, the track log will "cut corners", although the arrow was on the road all the time, if you had been watching it while you were passing through that bend.