Bulk Waypoint Downloads

crazycusters

i became a premium member hoping to download waypoints to my legend but need help figin that part out the idea here is that i work for a cable company and have quite a big area that i will be running around in on a regular basis in the same area but massive area (county) and i wont know where i am i gonnabe till i am there the thought is to get all the caches in the county in my legend so no matter where i take lunch i can check to see if i near one.like i said i am a premium member and am new all at the same time. thanks for the tips

Well, I don't have a legend, so I don't know how many waypoints it can hold. It sounds like you have Pocket Queries working. Did you download a GPX file yet? Have you processed it? I have good luck using GSAK to sort them and put them into groups for downloading to the GPS and PDA. You can do it without GSAK if you like, I believe EasyGPS will download to the Legend.

Find out how many waypoints your GPS can hold. Then load as many as you can fit in there. My Lowrance H2O unit can hold 1000 waypoints in main memory, and as many as I could possibly want on the SD card. I can load files from the SD card on the go, so I can put whatever I want in there. If your Legend can't do something like that, you might want to do a few different PQs for spots around the county you're working in and limit them to 100 caches or so. Then load them all into your GPS to get a sampling of caches all over the area you're working in. You can do that by filtering by ZIP code, for example. So if you have 10 ZIPs in the county, you could do a PQ for each of them, with 50-100 caches. That should fit into your GPS. Or just pick a few ZIPs around the county to help you fill in so you don't get empty spots.

Now, once that's done. When you are out working and have some caching time, get out the GPS, let it locate your current position, then have it show the closest waypoints. You can then pick one and go find it. Set your PQs to filter out ones you have allready found, and update the GPS once in a while, and you're good to go.

ya i did download a cache this processing thing you are reffering to i didnt do. guess i just need to fig out how to use one of those programs and go from there thats where i got stuck. if i get a chance tonight (not likely) i will fiddle with it somemore and see what happens thanks for the help thus far oh almost forgot the legend can hold 500 waypoints :)