Gps For Cars

blackpanther

This Garmin webpage shows all the map based GPS'. They have so many new ones; go to their comparison webpage to narrow down what you want based on price, features, compactness, etc...

Personally, I like the Legend C 'cause it has mapping, compactness, and affordability. To me it's the ideal GPS.

My wife has a 2610 and she loves it. I got it for about $600 when Garmin was offering a $100 rebate. It has color screen, remote control, touch screen, voice commands, and upgradeable CF memory (came with 128mb). Of course, I grab it on the weekends when I go powercaching :) .

I have a 60CS provided by my employer. It's great! However, when they take it away, I'm going to get the aforementioned Legend C.

Check out the new Garmin Nuvi 350. This is IMHO the best *automotive* GPS out there. It's a bit pricey (~$899) but is worth every penny. It has a large touch screen with voice prompts with TTS (text-to-speech), pre-loaded City Navigator maps with ~790MB of free ram for user maps, MP3s, audio books and JPG photos (with built-in software to view & play them all). If you need more ram, put it all on an SD card and pop it in the unit. It uses the highly touted SiRF chipset for really amazing reception and it can even slip into your pocket (unlike the C3xx or Street Pilot 26xx series). This is one gem of an auto-nav...I love it! :unsure:

Edited by SergZak

I've played with a few auto only GPS's and found them a breeze to use. They are completely useless for geocaching or any other outdoor navigation uses, If you boss man plans to keep it in the car though they are excellent units.

I looked at a Garmin street pilot, and one of the Magellan road-mates. Garmin has those new units, I'm not sure of the name but they are pretty compact, and have mapping built in.

I've played with a few auto only GPS's and found them a breeze to use. They are completely useless for geocaching or any other outdoor navigation uses, If you boss man plans to keep it in the car though they are excellent units.

I looked at a Garmin street pilot, and one of the Magellan road-mates. Garmin has those new units, I'm not sure of the name but they are pretty compact, and have mapping built in.

On the contrary, I use my NUVI for geocaching and it's great. I have to first input the coords on the PC using Mapsource or GSAK, then transfer it to my NUVI via USB. The NUVI then tells me how to drive to the location, after getting to walking distance, I just follow the waypoint. The only thing you can't do is input the coords directly to the NUVI. But it isn't much of a problem, I'm at my computer when I get geocache coordinates anyway.

I also love it for road navigation.

Restie