Ground Work..vacation In Maui!

raven912

Hi to all ,

Planning to go to Maui for vacation and wish to do some Geocaching!!

This is what I have:

1)Etrex Legend

2) Sony Clie 15mb pda with (Palm OS)& Cachmate

3)Pocket Q

4) GSAK

This is what I have done;

1)search for cache nearest my stay Condo & enter it into PQ.

2) PQ caches for radius of 65 mi ,100 caches from above cache Coords.

3) will keep PQ up to date until departure time!

4)Download PQ data to desktop ,then to GSAK

5)Data from GSAK to Legend and Cahemate-PDA

Now how do I set up my Legend so that I can start Geocaching on arrival??

1) do I enter the nearest cache (from condo) as my start pt. on my GPS, then in Maui I reset theGPS???

2) How do I clear local cache data from Legend and from pda?

Is this ok? Did I miss any steps or change order or do something else??

Welcome ALL hints ,suggestion ,correction,etc.

Thanks to All

Happy Thanksgiving

"horns beat Aggies"

Raven912

Now how do I set up my Legend so that I can start Geocaching on arrival??

1) do I enter the nearest cache (from condo) as my start pt. on my GPS, then in Maui I reset theGPS???

2) How do I clear local cache data from Legend and from pda?

Is this ok? Did I miss any steps or change order or do something else??

Welcome ALL hints ,suggestion ,correction,etc.

Thanks to All

Happy Thanksgiving

"horns beat Aggies"

When you get to Hawaii, there is no need to reset the legend. Let it get a clear view of the sky for 15 minutes or so, and it will know where you are.

No need to clear old cache data from the Legend or PDA unless you are running out of room.

Pick some caches that you want to do (viewing the .gpx file from MapSource, Google Earth or USAPhotoMaps will help with this). Hit find, and GOTO the cache!

I share this info only because your college football loyalties are correct.

Garmin recommends that if you move more than 600 miles from where you last used the Legend, then on the next powerup you should select "New Location" from the satellite page options menu, and then "Use Map" & pan over to Hawaii to give it a rough idea of where you are now. This is supposed to speed up the initial satellite acquistion. (Do othe same thing when you get back home, too.)

You'll have such a great time! We were there in April and hit several caches inbetween snorkeling, shopping, eating, ahhh. Wish I could go back, but I digress.

The best cache we saw while we were there was Beyond Venus. It's on the drive to Hana and round the back way. If you want other suggestions, feel free to e-mail me. Have Fun!!

We weren't cachers yet when we visited, and there are many there that look wonderful!

You can also go to the Hide & Seek a cache page on gc.com and put in the zip of where your condo is, and start with the closest and work your way out, or run a pocket query from there.

Wish we were going! We LOVE Maui! If you want a great Haleakala experience, call Haleakala Bike Company for a great, slow speed, on your own, downhill adventure.

Plan on taking GOOD hiking boots if you are going to do any of the caches down in the La Perouse area where you hike across the lava fields. Even some around the McGregor's Point and road between Lahina and Maalaea Harbor have some trails I wouldn't do in sandals. They will tear up cheap sandals and shoes. Plan on taking WARM clothes if you are going to the summit of Haleakla. The summit is over 10,000 feet, and in the dark, especially this time of year is COLD, cold enough for snow to occasionally accumulate.

Besides that I would say enjoy the ones down in the Wailea area, the beaches down there are great.... and the golf courses if that's your thing.

Enjoy your geocaching vacation!

If you're tempted to thank the locals by placing a cache of your own please pre-arrange for one of the local geocachers to act as a cache guardian for you as you'll be unable to maintain a cache there after you return to the mainland.

I did a search of old vacation caches that had never been posted (as they had no one to take care of them) for a local Maui geocacher last night and found 8 within 20 miles of him. He's going to trash them out if they are still there, but we wouldn't want that sad end to happen to anyone's cache. :lol:

erik - volunteer cache reviewer for Hawaii