Serial/usb Patch Cables

I'm a newbie in the geocache world and really the computer world also. However, I have purchased a Garman eTrex Legend GPSr. It comes with a serial cable and my laptop is fitted with USB ports. My question is whether any serial/USB patch cable will do or do you need a special one. Best Buy store has suggest a product name a "BELKIN USB PDA ADAPTER". To me this is for PDA's not GPSr's. Any help is greatly appreciated

I would be more comfortable if cable said just " generic USB to Serial port adapter cable"... Not sure if "PDA" has anything significant about how cable function. But YES any good generic USB/Serial adapter cable should allow GPSr (with serial port) to communicate with laptop or desk top through USB port...

Main thing that will give you a headache is finding what COM port number "system" will assign to USB/Serial adapter.... My system usually come up as COM 5.

Other factor is you need to load adapter cable drivers (from supplied CD) before you plug in cable and try to use it.

Information in this thread may be of help...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=110779

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn