Whistler Galileo Gps200

Wow - after 5 months I finally found a solution to importing waypoints in to my Whistler Galileo GPS200 - although most of you will say "big deal", you just don't understand the frustration.

For those that understand...

Here's what you do

- you need 2 pieces of software

- 1 GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) which you can download from Geocaching.com

- 2 oziConvertData.exe, which you can find here http://www.holux.com.tw/Temp%20web/downloa...ConvertData.zip

Download your LOC or GPX files from Geocaching and open them in GSAK, then export them to oziExplorer format (.wpt) - I chose to use SmartNames (%smart) and for the cache descriptions format I chose (%con) for Container.

Then open oziConvertData and convert the .wpt file to .wrt and import it to your unit.

Voila - you now have your waypoints. Sure save a lot of time when compared to manually entering them in to WMAP or the unit itself.

Hope this helps you out!

- Mark

BTW - this should also work with Holux and Alan GPS units since they are all the same.

Well @$#%^& I spoke too soon. I was so happy to get the waypoints transfered... after cycled the power on my unit - the screen came up with strange characters and only part of the screen was visible. After looking at the file in Notepad, I noticed there is a lot of estrainous characters that are different from the regular .wrt files produced by the WMAP. Although the file works with WMAP, it craps out on the unit itself.

Back to the research...

I can copy maps from my PC to a CF card that goes in to the unit. My problem is automating the transfer of waypoints - rightnow I have to manually enter the waypoints in to the unit directly or in to the included software (WMAP) and then transfer the file to the unit. What I can't do is use a pocket query and covert the file in to a format that will be accepted by the gps.

Whistler provied a program called WMAP - with it you build map list (lst) files from map card (crd) files. THe crd files are by state and county. So to get all counties for a state, you have to build a lst file to include all of the counties. Once you have the lst file, it can be uploaded to the gpsr through the serial/usb cable (slow) or transfered to a CF card and inserted int the gpsr (faster).

Waypoints on the other hand, are only read form internal memory and cannot be placed on the CF card - they can only be downloaded to the gpsr using the serial/usb cable and WMAP program.

Thats about it in a nut shell...

-Mark

Moore, as a more recent Whistler user who loves the maps they provide but goes crazy with the issues you mention, I wanted to note that the Alan is techincally a little different from the other two. For example, if you try to put Alan firmware into your Whistler, your unit will not work and you'll have to have Whistler tech support help you get your unit running about (however, they are quite good about that).

I also want to that otherwise, it is the same as Holux/Alan. In fact if you click on "About" in the WMAP program it will say Copyright Holux Technology. I note this because I'm pretty sure if you can get a hold of the European or Asian maps that are provided for the Alan and Holux units respectively, they will work in your GPS 200.