Gpsmap 60c And Mapsource Topo

I'm sure you loaded the Topo just fine. Set your Map Detail to "highest" in MapSource on your desktop to view the best results. Then, inside your 60C make sure the Map Detail is also set to "highest". But, the named roads are limited for sure. Unfortunately you may want City Select, or similar Garmin street mapping, to get all the road names in detail. Topo is great for its purpose which is showing quite good land features at a scale of 1: 100,000 with contours.

Yes, as others have indicated, Garmin's US Topo is good for showing the topology and other natural land features, but not very good at manmade features like roads. These maps are based on the USGS 1:100,000 series maps and basically show everything that's on the USGS maps and nothing that's not. The USGS maps can be very dated (30 years in some cases) so newer roads are often missing, many are unnamed, and some have been rerouted and therefore appear in the wrong place.

For up-to-date street-level detail the Garmin CitySelect maps are much better but they won't have the contour lines and many of the other natural features.

Yep, Topo only shows some road names. I can usually figure out where I am easily enough though. I guess its a tradeoff. If they included all the street names (like Magellan and Lowrance do) it would chew up more memory. You will also find the road data to be pretty old in some areas since it uses USGS maps.

If the chief reason you bought Topo was for street navigation, it wasn't the best choice. Topo's strong point is terrain detail. Still, you can use it to find way around town. I used it for that with much success for several years until I bought City Select.

Depending on your unit, you can run both Topo and City Select on it. I do this on my 60CS. If you have something with limited memory however, like a Legend, you're best off sticking with Topo.