Have To Bring It Up Again

Spoo

A while back, I brought this up and was assured by you all that there is nothing to my question.

Change in color

Today, I recovered OC2707.

Please take note of the difference in coloring between the Main Station mark and the RM's. I assume all were placed on the same day. The Main Station is clearly very black as opposed to the brass color of the RM's.

I also noticed that the Main Station appears to be engraved while the RM's are stamped.

I still think there is a difference in material involved here, even if it is an alloy difference.

I suspect that the Main Station mark was brought to the top of the hill pre-engraved and of a different material then the RM's were. I suspect the RM's are a softer alloy for field stamping purposes.

Spoo,

I would write Berntsen, http://www.berntsen.com/ which is who I think you bought your survey marker from, and ask them if they differ the metallurgy from batch to batch, or something like that. I would not think think the reason would be field stamping, but it is true that there are different materials used, and perhaps they can shed some light on why.

DaveD may be able to shed some light on the Standards NGS has had for metallurgy requirements on survey markers over the years. I have read there is a evolving rhyme or reason to it, for longevity and corrosion resistance purposes, but I don't remember just where at the moment.

I would guess the large scale buyers of survey markers can spec the order in most any way they like...

HTH,

Rob