Garmin 60cs - Navigation

markhp

By default the unit will switch to compass mode when navigating if you're speed drops below X amount of miles per hour (I had mine set for 1 MPH).

When Mt Biking, I have mine switched on in the webbing of the pack and sometimes need to pull it out to point to a waypoint (sometimes where I parked my vehicle). Today, once again I headed off in the wrong direction. I think I've figured this out...

The unit will switch from navigation mode (pointer accurately points to waypoint) to compass mode if I stood still or 60 seconds elapsed and the unit is not detecting motion.

I was looking at the triangle on the map today and noticed it would not rotate as I spun in circles, however once I started walking it would "wake up" and point to direction I was heading. I'm assuming this is the unit going from compass mode to navigation mode.

Bottom line, how can I get the unit NOT to go to compass mode. I set the default option in set up to < 0 MPH to go to switch to compass mode, instead of 1 MPH hoping this might keep it from switching...

There is an option to turn the compass off, but this seems to affect the ability for the unit to navigate too, so I don't believe that's an option.

Does anyone have a solution to being in a static location (standing motionless) and getting the compass pointer to accurately point at the next waypoint.

Edited by markhp

The idea of the magnetic compass in the 60cs is to allow the arrow to still accurately point at the destination even when you're stationary or moving slowly. By setting the threshold so low you've prevented the compass from turning on and you only get good directions when moving.

A higher threshold, like 2 mph, would still keep the compass off most of the time when moving to save the battery life but would let it switch on when you're going slow enough for the GPS-derived direction to be inaccurate.

Also be sure to recalibrate your compass when you change batteries so it won't be adversely affected by the magnetism of the cells.