Geocaching Advice Sought

civilised

Hi – I’m looking for some technical advice and also opinions from people who might already use what I would like to.

I currently use a Garmin Vista C, and an Xda IIs with Memory Map running on it. This works fine for me, but I desire, need, want (:cry:) to see my current position displayed in Memory Map on the PPC.

My limited techie abilities suggests that if I get one of these (the relevant item)(a Bluetooth GPSr ) it will communicate with my Xda IIs and display my position in Memory Map on the PPC.

I’m not bothered about routing while driving as TomTom takes care of that.

Am I right in this ? Will it all work ? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of ? Is the price right ?

Any advice is gratefully welcomed.

TIA

civilised

Er!

When you're using TT, what is feeding position data to your XDA?

I ask because I use a HP Ipaq 6340 with a bluetooth GPS - this BT GPS unit feeds data to both these programmes as required via a single comm port (with only one of the programmes running at a time).

Wooops !

I meant to mean that I don't need to use the PPC for routing me while driving - TT takes care of that - I don't have the 2 connected in any way.

Sorry for the confusion.

civilised

Er!

I ask because I use a HP Ipaq 6340 with a bluetooth GPS - this BT GPS unit feeds data to both these programmes as required via a single comm port (with only one of the programmes running at a time).

Wooops !

I meant to mean that I don't need to use the PPC for routing me while driving - TT takes care of that - I don't have the 2 connected in any way.

Sorry for the confusion.

civilised

The Vista C only has a mini USB connector. I believe (from other forums) that this means you cannot utilise the NMEA output i.e. you cannot connect it up via a serial link to other bits of kit.

Civilised,

I presume you are using TomTom in a standalone unit rather than the XDA?

We actually own a Vista C (caching and walking), StreetPilot 2610 (car - Sue mainly) and latterly I (Bernie) picked up a HP Ipaq with BT GPS that runs TT3 and the full "safety" camera setup (that Sue, being a respectable lady driver, doesn't need).

To do the postion thing on your XDA, you do need something to feed the data into the box. Any old BT GPS unit will do the job just dandy, dozens on eBay to choose from.

Er!

Wooops !

Sorry for the confusion.

civilised

The Vista C only has a mini USB connector. I believe (from other forums) that this means you cannot utilise the NMEA output i.e. you cannot connect it up via a serial link to other bits of kit.

Civilised,

I presume you are using TomTom in a standalone unit rather than the XDA?

We actually own a Vista C (caching and walking), StreetPilot 2610 (car - Sue mainly) and latterly I (Bernie) picked up a HP Ipaq with BT GPS that runs TT3 and the full "safety" camera setup (that Sue, being a respectable lady driver, doesn't need).

To do the postion thing on your XDA, you do need something to feed the data into the box. Any old BT GPS unit will do the job just dandy, dozens on eBay to choose from.

Yes TomTom is the stand-alone version - gets me to the car park then the Vista for the walking and finding. The PPC shows me the map and also the cache details in GPXSonar. I want to see my current position on the PPC while walking and finding <_<

Thanks - that helps me a lot - the relevant auction has now ended but the seller seems to have loads of identical items.

Very grateful for the help.

civilised

Simple answer is YES! <_<

My setup is:

• HP iPAQ 4150 PDA
  • Blutooth GPSr
  • Memory Map
  • TomTom
  • (sometimes Pocket Autoroute)
  • Franson GPSGate

With GPSGate ALL of the software runs simultaneously and the single GPSr provides a feed for all the mapping application. You can freely switch between them. All show your current position on the displayed maps.

Memory Map for instance displays your waypoints, current position, Direction arrow, distance to cache and a number of other displays if you want. All this on a high resolution OS map.

Simple answer is YES! <_<

My setup is:

•  
  • HP iPAQ 4150 PDA

• Blutooth GPSr

• Memory Map

• TomTom

• (sometimes Pocket Autoroute)

• Franson GPSGate

With GPSGate ALL of the software runs simultaneously and the single GPSr provides a feed for all the mapping application. You can freely switch between them. All show your current position on the displayed maps.

Memory Map for instance displays your waypoints, current position, Direction arrow, distance to cache and a number of other displays if you want. All this on a high resolution OS map.

Well, it would be difficult to find a more authoritative opinion <_< - thanks very much.

Does that mean you don't have a stand-alone GPSr ?

What is the GPSGate ? Software ? Is it easily ( ie cheaply ) obtainable ?

Thanks again for your decisive view - and to all the other advice and help - I'm off to ebay.

civilised

Yes, I do have a "normal" GPS - a Garmin eTrex Summit but I don't often use it these days.

Gpsgate is a software package, ether for Windows or Pocket PC, obtainable here. You can try it for 14 days to see if you like it. After that you pay but I found it so useful I think the small price is well worth it.

The Blutooth unit I've got is a Globalsat 308 although this now seems to have been superceded. I've done a quick eBay search and there seems to be quite a choice. The sensitivity of this unit is very good and most of the time it lives in my pocket while I'm caching. On a full charge it's good for a whole day's caching.

Enjoy!

One last question Mr Hornet - do I need GPSGate for both PC and PPC or can I just get away with the PPC version ?

Thanks again.

civilised

Depends on whether you want to run several programs simultaneously on your Laptop that require you to have GPS input.

They are two separate programs but I only ever use the PPC version now I have the iPaq. If you're taking your laptop "on the road" then you'll probably want both. If it stays at home you'll only need the PPC version.

Try the programme first - it is not that easy to use.

I have a registered copy of GPS Gate (GG) - I took it off my PPC because it was almost as much trouble as the thing I was using it to fix!

If you have TT already installed and use the quick and dirty "method 1" to install GG, GG will constantly fire up TT. When you try to look at Memory-Map (MM), up comes TT again,... and again... and again! Reset the PPC to restore nomality.

Method 2 requires you to check a registry setting prior to installing TT. You "restore" this registry setting after TT has butchered it about. Then you can use GG to act as the go-between, feeding data to TT, MM and other programmes (depending which version of GG you registered.

I will try method 2 next time my PPC decides to zero itself...