What I Have And Like, But What I Want. Help

I need help on buying a GPSr. I purchased and used the Garmin GPS V. I love lots of stuff about it. The things I don't like, and would like to change is USB instead of serial, and more memory. The thing I really like is the car mount and also hand held usiblity of the unit. When I buy my next unit I don't want to lose that. I have only had the Garmin for about 2 weeks. It is our first GPSr and we love it. I just want a faster connection and more memory. Color would be nice, but not a requirement. I have 30 days to send it back to Amazon. I want a faster unit. The processor is slow in this unit also. I know its an older model too.

Please recommend me a good GPSr that has these features.

-Hand held and car mount included

-USB connection

-More than 19mb (possibly flash memory expandable)

-Garmin brand if possible

We found our first cache today and the whole family had a good time. :laughing:

You don't mention your price range, but from Garmin here are the "best" choices:

Vista C, GPSMap 60C/CS, GPSMap76C/CS. Memory is 24/56/112, respectively.

You mention Flash memory, however. Garmin doesn't do that in their "handheld" or "transportable" units - just their higher-end dash-mounted units.

For Flash, you need to seek Magellan.

Another one to consider is the Garmin Quest. It sells for about $340 which includes the City Select-NA (v7) software, auto mount, computer cable, 12 VDC power cord, and speaker. It has 115 MB of memory for downloading maps and a 13 MB autorouting basemap, USB and RS-232 connections, and an external antenna MCX jack. It's very small and light and I find it easy to use as an outdoor handheld. It also has the usual IPX7 waterproof rating.

The main drawback for some types of outdoor use is the internal Li+ cell. It's rated for 20 hours of use, but presents a problem on multi-day bicycling or backpacking trips. There are some work-arounds using holders with 4 AA cells to recharge the Li+ cell but it's not ideal for applications where you'll be away from power sources for a long time.

Sorry for not stating my price range. I would like to stay below $350. Looks like I need to check out the quest. The reason I didn't look at that one is because I didn't think you could change the screen orientation from landscape to portrait, depending on which way it was held.

I really appreciate your help. I like the idea of getting everything in a package like I did with the Garmin GPS V deluxe package. It included the vehicle mount, car adapter, software and serial cable. I don't need replaceable batteries. I don't get away from a/c power like that :huh:

I didn't think you could change the screen orientation from landscape to portrait, depending on which way it was held.

You can't, but I didn't find it to be a problem to hold it horizontally. The map part of the screen is pretty square in any event once you include some data fields. Both the Quest and the V strike me as being relative 'bargains' in Garmin's handheld lineup due to the inclusion of the map software and accessories.

...Garmin doesn't do that in their "handheld" or "transportable" units ... you need to seek Magellan.

Or Lowrance :huh: In other words, anybody except Garmin.

FWIW, Lowrance is also a price-beater when it comes to full featured packages. My iFinder H2O, with mapping software, expandable memory, and a handlebar mount for my bike came to less than $280, delivered.

Edited by lee_rimar