Magellan Explorist 600

Don't know if you're looking for topo or street maps, but there is a new Canadian Topo version in the pipeline. Hard to say what the quality is until it's available. My guess is that it's the same as the current program referenced by Dot-c0m, but friendlier in explorist communications.

I have generally found that the map programs Garmin or Magellan make available are adequate for my GPSr, but I need better 3rd party stuff for computer use.

Edited by embra

Mulot, Did just about what you implied in the "all or nothing". Got the eX600, carrying case, car mount, extra RAM, Topo3D, DirectRoute, and screen protector. I use the Topo3D when I need more topography. Direct Route is used to get me to the location using the Street-by-Street mode. Overall, it wasn't cheap but has worked out well for me.

direct route lacks alot of side roads in canada. It works reasonably well in the bigger cities but here in New Brunswick it lacks many of the POIs, street names, secondary and off roads that Topo Canada has. I wouldn't buy v2 for canada at least, wait till Direct Route version3 is available(sept). As everyone knows if you buy v2 and v3 comes out the week after, you'll be forced to fork out more cash as magellan does not offer free updates to any of their map softtware like garmin does. Actually mapsend topo canada is also due to release version1.5 which will have integrated explorist usb support. I cannot understand why magellan wouldnt supply a patch to allow older versions to natively support the explorist instead of using the conversion manager software.

Edited by D0T-C0M