Farewell To Travel Bug That Are Victims Of Katrina

Popp-Cachers

It has been 10 days now since the devastating hurricane and thankfully help is finally underway for the survivors. Even the animals are being rescued and taken to safety as much as possible. Almost with a sense of guilt, my thoughts turned to other victims of the hurricane: the innocent travel bugs and caches! Obviously not important in the scheme of things, but those of us who have come to love this sport, and those whose travel bug may have been journeying in the south land, we feel a certain unspoken sense of loss. Someday in the future I will be able to release a special travel bug -- and his goal will be to make it to New Orleans for a wonderful rocking Mardi Gras. That, I am afraid, unfortunately, may not be for several years. That city with so much life and history, where music is the way of life, now falls silent and dark. It will come alive again, as will the rest of the devastated areas, with undaunting spirit and collective hard work. Please do what you can to help hurricane recovery from where ever you are.

And be safe throughout the remainder of hurricane season and beyond.

Kathy

BTW: I'm glad you mentioned the animals and pets.  I made my contribution to the Humane Society (www.hsus.org) for Katrina Disaster Relief.

Oh! Please don't. Or at least know what you're doing if you do. I don't mean to be a downer, or to inject politics in the TB forum, but

Despite the words “humane society” on its letterhead, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is not affiliated with your local animal shelter. Despite the omnipresent dogs and cats in its fundraising materials, it’s not an organization that runs spay/neuter programs or takes in stray, neglected, and abused pets. And despite the common image of animal protection agencies as cash-strapped organizations dedicated to animal welfare, HSUS has become the wealthiest animal rights organization on earth.

HSUS is big, rich, and powerful, a “humane society” in name only. And while most local animal shelters are under-funded and unsung, HSUS has accumulated $113 million in assets and built a recognizable brand by capitalizing on the confusion its very name provokes. This misdirection results in an irony of which most animal lovers are unaware: HSUS raises enough money to finance animal shelters in every single state, with money to spare, yet it doesn’t operate a single one anywhere.

Instead, HSUS spends millions on programs that seek to economically cripple meat and dairy producers; eliminate the use of animals in biomedical research labs; phase out pet breeding, zoos, and circus animal acts; and demonize hunters as crazed lunatics. HSUS spends $2 million each year on travel expenses alone, just keeping its multi-national agenda going.

ActivistCash.com

If you can find a local and genuine humane society still in operation, I'd start there.