Question To Lowrence Users

I hope to receive my ifinderH2O plus tomorrow and am trying to prepare to put it to immediate use. I installed CSAK and opened a pocket query. As I understand it I cannot load waypoints directly to the GPSr but will need to load to a memory card? If this is correct, 1) would I export to the card, if so would that be thr file + export command + memory card? 2) if I saved to the card without doing a mapcreate would the waypoints simply show with the basemap when card is loaded?

When ordering the ifinder I knew there would probably be a more difficult learning curve than going with a garmin unit that is more widely used. However, I liked the screen and decided surely I could figure it out....well with a little help from experienced users.

I recently used the iWay 500 on a trip and decided to do a little googling on "GPS" on my return and wham bang I HAVE to try geocaching. Any assistance offered will be appreciated.

Thanks

Judy

Hi,

I'm a proud new owner of an iFINDER H20 and have only been caching with it a couple times but maybe I can be of some assistance since you seem to be on the right track already. You will need to use the "Custom Export" function of GSAK to convert the GPX files into the USR format used by Lowrance. You must replace the default statement in the "Statement to Run" box of Custom Export with a statement which will work with your system's setup. Once you sucessfully get the USR waypoints on the card and the card in your unit you can save them in the H20s memory. Once this is done the waypoints will show up on your map screen and your ready to roll.

Rather than try to explain the "Statement to Run" you need to use, I thought it would be easier just to included a link to the forum thread in which ClydeE of GSAK explained it to me. He gives an example of the statement you will need to copy and paste into the "Statement to Run" box. Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Indotguy

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...opic=105208&hl=

Edited by Indotguy

Thanks for your reply Indotguy. Unfortunately, although TigerGPS indicated the Ifinder H20 is in stock it is actually on backorder. Oh well, with your assistance & the research I've done hopefully I can be up and running fairly soon after it arrives. Again thanks for taking the time to assist.

Judy

Sorry to hear about the backorder. In the mean time maybe you should consider visiting www.lowrance.com and downloading their Free product emulator.

I downloaded the H20 emulator from their site and by the time the real one arrived I had learned a lot about the unit and even had all my customizable data catagories set etc. It definitely shortened the learning curve and it's loads of fun too!

Thanks for your reply Indotguy.  Unfortunately, although TigerGPS indicated the Ifinder H20 is in stock it is actually on backorder.

PageComputers has better price and status "in stock".

iFinder H2O:

http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/pro...uct%5Fid=633541

iFinder H2O Plus (with MapCreate Topo, card reader and 32MB memory card):

http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/pro...uct%5Fid=633544

Thanks Hoary.

Unfortunately it appears Tiger GPS is closed now but I am going to cancel my order in the a.m. and order from the site you suggested.

I am a littl concerned about going with the Lowrence instead of the Garman as I am a novice. I guess I'm primarily going with it because the screen is a little larger and it appears to have many of the features of the more expensive Garman users. But, I sure hope you guys don't mind questions!

******rbug

iFinder H2O Plus (with MapCreate Topo, card reader and 32MB memory card):

http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/pro...uct%5Fid=633544

That's a pretty good find - IF the iFinder H2O really comes with MapCreate 6.3 TOPO. The topo product is bundled with the iFinder Hunt Plus, but I'm not sure about the H2O.

Either way, thanks for the point!

Non-Topo MapCreate discontinued around March of 2005 (according to Lowrance Cust. Serv.). Now all Plus versions are shipping with Topo version.

However, when I odered my H2O Plus in April of this year I received it with non-Topo MapCreate (I guess it was sitting on a shelf for long time). I called Lowrance, they asked unit's serial number and shiped me Topo version at no charge. They didn't even want non-Topo back.

What's the difference in a topo map and others and how do I know what I have. Every time I think I'm getting to know this stuff more questions come up.

In general, Topo has an elevation information - you can see a contour lines on a map. Lowrance started shipping Topo only with MapCreate version 6.3. If you have version before - it's non-Topo.

Non-Topo MapCreate was on 2 CDs, Topo comes on 6 CDs.

Edited by Hoary
Thanks Hoary.

I am a littl concerned about going with the Lowrence instead of the Garman as I am a novice.  I guess I'm primarily going with it because the screen is a little larger and it appears to have many of the features of the more expensive Garman users.  But, I sure hope you guys don't mind questions!

******rbug

I would suggest you to join this group and read it (it's less than 2000 posts :laughing:):

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ifinder_gps/

A lot of helpful information.

Thanks for the answer, I've been offline for a few weeks. Interesting though, I have Mapcreate 6.3 and it was on 2 CDs. No topo.

Yes, from the beginning they were shipping v.6.3 as non-Topo and Topo, but in March non-Topo discontinued.

If you purchased your set after March of 2005, you can call Lowrance and get your Topo (see my post earlier in this thread).

Edited by Hoary