Motorcycle Mount

I imagine this post should be in the GPS Units section...

I'm looking for a sturdy, reliable motorcycle mount for my Garmin 60C. I've heard good things about RAM, and have been to their website, but couldn't decipher which of the million mounts they show holds a 60C.

Do you have any suggestions? I've heard some horror stories about people returning from an ATV/motorcycle ride with an empty mount, so if there aren't any out there that are rock solid, I'd rather pull over to check my progress.

EDIT: While I'm asking... are most mounts easily removable with no damage to the handlebar? I'll mostly be attaching the mount every now and then for longer trips but would like to leave it off some of the time.

Thanks for your thoughts!

--MeanStreaker

Edited by MeanStreaker

Go to GPS City. They have RAM mounts, and their system is easier to use than RAM's. What you want are the following:

A u-bolt handlebar mount with 1" ball.

an aluminum double clamp short arm for 1" ball

a metal 1"ball diamond plate

a 60 c/s cradle.

You can buy the parts together or separately, and they are about the same price.

I tried some cheap mounts in my truck and I was not really happy until I got the RAM. I also have one on my bicycle, and I would not trust a cheap mount on a bicycle, let alone a motorcycle.

If you look around, you can probably find one that is already put together, and you can search by GPS model, so that narrows it down some.

I don't know about damage. Probably there will be some minor scratching, but with the ram, you don't have to remove the u-bolt. You just loosen the clamp and leave the u-bolt in place.

Edited by CenTexDodger

I second CenTexDodger's recommendation for RAM mounts. I am using mine with the Garmin mount for the Quest. The RAM mount on my Honda 599 is attached to my handlebars in a semi-permanent fashion and I really wouldn't consider taking it off and putting it back on often as it would be a real hassle: the Garmin mount is connected to the 12V power supply of the bike via a long cable.

I would not be concerned about losing the GPS during the ride: for instance, the Garmin Quest handlebar mount is designed to lock the unit into place with strong clips and metal pins. Now, I ride a street bike, not an ATV or a dirt bike where the shock absorption requirements are different but I've never been worried about losing the GPSr.

Hope this helps.

Edited by -=(GEO)=-

Hey Streaker,

What kind of a bike do you have?! I actually got interested in gps because I was into long-distance riding. (this geocaching thing was just a lucky coincidence that combined my love of hiking with the technology I already posessed) For Iron Butt type endeavors, I used to run two gps units at a time, each with different stats (a common practice among 2-wheeled mileage hounds). So to answer your question, yes, there are some great mc mounts out there!

RAM mounts are both simple and versatile. You will need a mount (a U-bolt type clamp for your handlebar), a stem (lengths vary to suit your cockpit set up and configuration - 3" is a probably good for most set-ups), a cradle (specific to the 60C), and a cradle ball adaptor/compact base (to put it all together).

I've found RAM mounts to be pretty secure overall - tighten the stem well and check it after you've been on the road a bit. If it is loose, it can quickly loosen more, and if it flops over or moves at all while you're riding it can be (at best) an unexpected distraction you don't need. I've never had one come off, but it is common practice to use the wrist leash that came with the unit (or something similar) to tether the receiver, just in case.

The nice thing about this set up is that you can remove the stem easily to bring the all the sexy hardware inside for the night. If you are not overly anal about appearances, you can leave the U-clamp mounted to your bars until the next time you want to use it. I typically wrap my bars with sturdy tape before installing geekware of any kind (known to ld riders as "farkles") both give me a slightly more forgiving interface and to minimizes any minor scarring from reefing down on the bolts.

Direct-mount kits that take advantage of your bikes existing frame configuration and bolt patterns are available for many BMWs and other popular touring models as well. And I believe there may be strap-on and clamp-down variations to replace the universal handlebar U-bolt but, in practice, I have never seen them used and would avoid them myself.

If you get into the habit of using your gps on the road, consider getting a 4-pin power cable you can hardwire directly off your battery. To keep everything looking neat, route it under your tank, up the front of your steering head/triple tree and zip tie any excess slack to convenient stationary points along way, taking care (of course) that it doesn't interfere or bind when you steer. Or alternately, you buy a kit to quickly install a power outlet that lets you use your car adapter. Of course, many late-model touring bikes these days come with factory installed integral power outlets, as they are so handy for running electric vests and charging cell phones.

These two motorcycle companies offer complete 60C specific RAM kits (~$39) that will narrow down your choices, along with an ulimited array of toys to help you farkelize your ride:

http://www.cycoactive.com/ram/ram60.shtml

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/r...?prod=RAM-GPS60

I have a dual-sport 900cc Triumph Tiger that I have pounded off pavement from Alaska to Labrador and along rugged dirt roads throughout western North America. My RAM mounts have functioned very well and the garmin units I use seem unaffected by vibration and weather. Adjustable antennas can be a bit of a weak point over time but that shouldn't be an issue with the 60-series. Hard-core adventure tourists, however, swear by Touratech gear, and their gps mounts are beautifully made and terrifically secure (they even lock) but they are pricey (~$95–$115). Considering how well my system has worked in the conditions I've tested it under, I can't really justify the price, but I can admire them for the highly functional art they are.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/navigati...93E2774680E442D

I hope this isn't more infomation than you bargained for :mad: Have fun and let me know how it works out! And remember that motorcycle gps units are especially reliable for pinpointing the exact location of the accident that totaled the bike because the owner was staring at the gps unit! Shiny side up, rubber side down!

Carry on!

doggity

Thanks for the help so far, guys. I have a 2005 Kawasaki Mean Streak (hence the username). It's the sixth street bike I've had (I'm 25) and my first GPSr! I actually found out about geocaching through a small blurb in Rider magazine. It gives me a great answer when I want to take a ride and the better half says, "Well we can't just roam aimlessly, where are we going to go?!"