Uploading Waypoints

Davedoo

I have a Magellan SporTrack GPSR and I use GSAK software. I am going on a trip where I will need to download 500 waypoints into the Magellan. However, that is it's capacity so I want to upload my existing waypoints in case I want to reload them, or some of them. I got close to success. I setup a database in GSAK called Saved Waypoints. I then clicked on GPS and then Receive Waypoints. It alerted me I was able to receive waypoints from the GPSR and asked if I was sure I wanted to do that. I said yes. Then an error pops up that says "Error sending waypoints. MAGPROTO cannot open COM1 for read. Error was Permission Denied. My cable is plugged in tightly both ends. Any help??

Thanks!

The first thing I can think of is something else conflicting with the com port. Usually this is a PDA program like Palm hotsync. If you have hotsync turn it off first and then try the transfer again. I sure someone else will come up with some other ideas also.

I know that with our Magellan, if you download something from the computer first with that port, the Maggie won't read the port as "ready to receive". IIRC, you have to log out and back in, or re-enable / reset the port.

I believe we just shrug and reboot the computer; that almost always works.

It's a huge PITA; it won't do both upload and download; you have to reset the port between transfers to get it to do the opposite of whatever it was you just did.

If anyone's got a work-around for that, instead of having to reboot the computer each time, I sure would like to know about it...