Quest 2 And Route Planning

Has anyone had any luck linking the Quest 2 to a Trip and Waypoint Manager Program. Planning routes on the Q2 display is slow and awkward. And I have no way to save tracks and routes anywhere but on the Q2. It would be nice to be able to store them on my laptop.

Or has anyone had any luck linking to a version of Mapsource and uploading/downloading routes and track files? I have tried Ver 6 with no luck but have not tried ver 7.

When I hook up my laptop to the GPS the GPS shuts down during the connection process. It has happened when I tried to hook up to a laptop running a current version 6 Mapsource and it shutdown when I tried to hook up to another program "EasyGPS". It starts and runs for a few seconds and then powers down.

Anyone worked through this or have any ideas or thoughts?

TomB

I have transferred tracks to and from the Quest 2 as well as waypoints with no problem. When I download routes from the PC to the Q 2 I get a message saying that the maps are not the same ( I am using a very old version of Mapsource on my PC ) and it asks if I want to let the Q2 reroute. The only difference that I have seen is where there is a new road that is faster/shorter that is not on the old map set. It will use the new road. On the Q 2 if I do not want it to use the new road I just avoid it or put a "via" in that will cause the routing not to use it.

I have had problems trying to send routes that I create on the Q2 to my PC. However, this is something I have very little need of and I have not spent any time trying to get it to work correctly.

I think that my Mapsource is V. 4 with the updates to 6.7.

I have also used my tracks from the Q2 in the Google Earth program with no problems.

If it shuts down when you connect, do you think that you have the correct drivers loaded on your PC ?

Edited by 03HD
I have transferred tracks to and from the Quest 2 as well as waypoints with no problem. When I download routes from the PC to the Q 2 I get a message saying that the maps are not the same ( I am using a very old version of Mapsource on my PC ) and it asks if I want to let the Q2 reroute. The only difference that I have seen is where there is a new road that is faster/shorter that is not on the old map set. It will use the new road. On the Q 2 if I do not want it to use the new road I just avoid it or put a "via" in that will cause the routing not to use it.

I have had problems trying to send routes that I create on the Q2 to my PC. However, this is something I have very little need of and I have not spent any time trying to get it to work correctly.

I think that my Mapsource is V. 4 with the updates to 6.7.

I have also used my tracks from the Q2 in the Google Earth program with no problems.

If it shuts down when you connect, do you think that you have the correct drivers loaded on your PC ?

Hi 03,

I believe I am using the current drivers. They are the ones that came with the Q2 of which I have only had 1 week. I have no software installed for Mapsource since this is my first Garmin product. I was hesitant to make an additional purchase on their software because I wasn't sure if it would work. I mean hell I bought the Q2 with V7 installed and you would think they would give you some way of working with trips and waypoints other than the 1.5x2.2" screen. Although I have done it using S&T or a paper map just for the bigger picture to make it easier and to see a larger area when laying out a trip.

I did try nRoute in hopes it would recognize the map in the Q2 and it did for a few seconds then the Q2 powered down.

Thanks for your input.

TomB