Mapsource Waypoints

embra

I picked up one of those marked-down Quests for autorouting, planning for now to use it in the car and hike with the explorist. I am liking it *way* more than DirectRoute on my meridian and 500. However, I have a couple of questions that I have not been able to resolve easily enough for my tastes...and so I seek help.

I have 4 waypoints loaded on the Quest. Three of them, all within 50 miles, show up in my locations from my postion at home. The 4th is 180 miles away, and shows up only if I move the pointer over in that vicinity before trying to find in my locations--and then my other 3 waypoints aren't on the list. Is there a setting somewhere I haven't found to screen out distant waypoints? Or what?

Also, I haven't found a way to delete maps on the GPSr. Does CitySelect delete *all* existing maps when I load a new set? Or...what?

Congratulations on your new purchase. :D

When you load a mapset into the Garmin eTrex GPSrs (the only ones I am familiar with), the previous mapset is deleted before the new mapset is loaded.

I think you will only see the "nearest" waypoints, unless you are searching by name.

I just got the Vista C, and I'm still trying to figure out the menus for it. It works a bit differently from the monochrome Vista. On that one, if I chose "Find" it would ask me for "Nearest" or "By Name" or by "Map Pointer" depending on the previous action.

I don't see any means to search by name on my Quest, but the waypoints *are* sorted by distance from position. The thing that confuses me (coming from the Magellan model) is that not all of the waypoints are in the list. There appears to be a distance cutoff.

First thing's first, update the firmware (the current version is 3.50). Find your current version by selecting "About Quest" in the settings menu

To toggle between searching by name or distance, do the following:

Press FIND

Select "My Locations"

Press MENU

From there you can select "find by name" or "find nearest"