I Hate The 60cs' 500 Points Track Limit :(

Hi everyone,

I have a question: how do you work-around the stupid limitation of 500 points for a saved track? After downloading my activetrack log and uploading it back, it gets truncated.. VERY unpleasant indeed. I use saved tracks to share them with friends, longer ones do get cut in half and I hate it.. I have to create two or three tracks for a route.. How do manage this?

60CS specs:

Tracks:  10,000-point automatic track log; 20 saved tracks, 500 points each, let you retrace your path in both directions

At least with MapSource I'm able to send the active log back to GPSMAP76cs (which is SW wise the same as 60cs!?), and hence it won't be truncated to the 500 points of the saved log length.

Because of this track log 'simplification' I prefer to receive the active log from gps whenever PC is available, rather than saving it in gps first.

Well, indeed I find that this is the most severe limitation of the unit. The saved tracks are compresed to 500 points and loose the timestamp of each point. I always download the active log to a PC. That way you have the complete log. Many GPS programs let you compress them to the number of points of your choice. That way they are not truncated when uploaded to different units with different tracklog specs.

Possible workarounds:

- If you want to upload to the GPSr more than 500 points you have to either do it as an active log (10000 points limits) or as saved tracks segments of 500 points each. In the case of the active log you have to make a compromise between what you upload and the tracklog that you are planning to record. Either you do not record the tracklog or leave room for the recording. If you use saved tracks segments the tracback feature will only work for each segment and you will have to switch manually between tracks when you arrive at the end of each one.

Edited by gps_mountainbiker