Unsure 60c Or 60cs

ian24

:anibad:

advice please!

I have got an olg Magellan 2000, which loses the signal if so much as a sparrow flies overhead. I was thinkinabout a Garmin 60C or 60CS, would I be wasting my money or not. The old one also takes forever to pick up the sats when it has lost them, it's about 8 yrs old.

I have an even older Magellan with an accuracy to the nearest err... mile and which dies if there are more than three leaves overhead. I replaced it with the Garmin GPS Map 60C. I then had a shock when I discovered that the 60C is fairly useless without buying the street maps, as the included base map of the A1, A2, M1, M2 etc. is of little use for getting to places.

Consider whether you want to pay the price of the GPSr plus the price of the Automotive Navigation Accessory Pack as well. This contains maps of "all" roads and streets in Europe, a couple of car mounting brackets and a cable to power the GPSr from a cigarette lighter. I think it worthwhile, as turn by turn road navigation to geocaches (or anywhere else) is a superb advantage.

Automotive Navigation Accessory Pack

I wouldn't pay extra for the 60CS model as I don't have the use. My watch contains an altimeter and I carry a compass.

If you decide to obtain a GPS Map 60C or 60CS, I can send you details on obtaining free contour maps of the UK.

i've the 60c decided didn't need the gimmick of the s. batteries last for absolutley ages.

yes you will need the mapsource maps to make it worthwhile.

as has been said you can geocache on a geko which i did atfirst but would never go back. love the 60c and would replace instantly with same if lost it.

lots of cash but worth it.

Many thanks for the above replies, I had it in mind to not bother with the "s" as like a lot of you said it's just as easy to use compass. I also thought about getting some rechargeable Ni-Cad batteries, anybody any thoughts on them?

Thanks to Omega 2 for the offer of free contour mapping. I would like that please.

I'm not to worried about the mapping to use the GPSr, as I have a Tom Tom Sat Nav. This was another reason for wondering whether to get the 60C or as suggested a Geko perhaps, havn't looked at them yet, will do so now.

Edited by ian24