Need My Lowrance Comrads Here Again

ive been fooling around with this new firmware that lowrance released (1.8) and it seems like a lot of things changed. might just be me though :)

does anyone know if the bolded signal strength bars on lowrance mean that the GPS is navigating with that particular satellite or only if it has collected the data needed (like garmin does). I read somewhere that some gps's use one or the other.

I ask this is because I was using my GPS today and certain satellites would drop back to "grey" color after being bold. My garmin V never does this. Im guessing the bold bars mean that the GPS is actually navigating with that satellite and it drops certain ones that have weak signal or poor geometry.

anyone else know lowrance stuff really well here? :)

Hi Tahoe Skier which iFinder do you have? I have the Pro, and my current firmware build is 1.5.0 which is the latest for it. Umm good question about those signal strength bars. I think I've seen what you are describing, and am checking my Pro now & watched it's display - as a side note the unit went from turnon-to-location-lock in about 25 seconds, in my livingroom! Man I really love that units reception :)

This time, mine went from "empty/hollow bars" to "partially (dark) filled bars" and is staying in that format. No grey bars now although I think I've seen that in the field on occasion. If I recall correctly,the greyed bars mean the GPSr has "found" that satellite and is aware of it, but at this time it is ignoring it in it's calculations.

Next time you see those grey bars, pop into the iFinder hidden screen showing enhanced satellite detail (press "down" a couple times while in the satellite screen) and see what sorts of PRN SNR & Trk values are being given to those sats. If you're able, snap a screenshot of that screen at that time.

Does your EPE fluctuate when satellites go grey?

Ok heres what I found...

I did use that hidden page you were talking about by hitting the down button 3 times.

I looked at the "St" column, standing for status I guess. For the satellites that were just picked up, it changes from "37" to "3F" to "2F" to "BF". For the ones that were locked on and bold, "BF" was showing. Now, when the strength dropped below about 25 CNO, the bars turned grey again and either "AF", "8D" or "AD" was showing.

edit: I found out what those terms mean too, but the process behind them is confusing.

Click here for information on terms

The table is on page 12 of that PDF

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000