Enhancement To Pq Preview Feature

Hynr

I wonder if the load on the PQ system could be lightened by expanding the download capability of the PQ Preview search results. What I am envisioning would be provided interactively off the page that results when clicking the PQ “Preview” link, by adding another link at the top of the Preview Results page where we currently have the links for “[edit] [gallery] [New Search]”. But it would apply to the entire query, not just the 20 (or fewer) results showing.

It would essentially return the information that the system has already collected so that it should provide no additional strain on the PQ system other than converting it to a zipped gpx file and transmitting it. It would need to contain all the information that is in the Preview list PLUS the latitude and longitude. As such it would contain name, owner, GCcode, found-status, found-by-me date, archive/available-status, difficulty, terrain, etc but NOT contain any descriptions or logs. It would be a gpx file of the full set of search results and a more complete than the loc file generation.

I know that for me this would eliminate a substantial amount of PQ data transmission because I (and many others) run a significant number of very complete PQs to get the Found and Available status (as well as any changes to the coordinates) for our datasets. More substantial changes can then be handled by running much smaller PQs using the "updated in last 7 days" feature.

It would essentially return the information that the system has already collected so that it should provide no additional strain on the PQ system other than converting it to a zipped gpx file and transmitting it.

Have you see the data in a GPX file?

Here's what's in a *loc file for GC28

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<loc version="1.0" src="Groundspeak">

<waypoint>

<name id="GC28"><![CDATA[beverly by robamy]]></name>

<coord lat="42.0900166666667" lon="-88.22435"/>

<type>Geocache</type>

<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC28</link>

</waypoint></loc>

Here's what's in MY GPX file for GC28...

<wpt lat="42.090017" lon="-88.22435">

<time>2000-05-13T00:00:00.0000000-07:00</time>

<name>GC28</name>

<desc>Beverly by Robert Reindl, Traditional Cache (2/2)</desc>

<url>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1ab68474-fa78-4d45-90b0-55c09adb280c</url>

<urlname>Beverly by Robert Reindl</urlname>

<sym>Geocache Found</sym>

<type>Geocache|Traditional Cache|Found</type>

<Groundspeak:cache id="40" available="True" archived="False" xmlns:Groundspeak="http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0">

<Groundspeak:name>Beverly</Groundspeak:name>

<Groundspeak:placed_by>Robert Reindl</Groundspeak:placed_by>

<Groundspeak:owner id="13">robamy</Groundspeak:owner>

<Groundspeak:type>Traditional Cache</Groundspeak:type>

<Groundspeak:container>Regular</Groundspeak:container>

<Groundspeak:difficulty>2</Groundspeak:difficulty>

<Groundspeak:terrain>2</Groundspeak:terrain>

<Groundspeak:country>United States</Groundspeak:country>

<Groundspeak:state>Illinois</Groundspeak:state>

<Groundspeak:short_description html="True">The difficulty and terrain have a rating of ~1.5 because there are so many interesting ways to approach the Geocache. It can be easy and/or difficult depending on many factors (you will see). <br>When in doubt bring your boots! <br></Groundspeak:short_description>

<Groundspeak:long_description html="True">This is a beautiful area for a hike with friends and family! You will see lots of trees, diverse land features and some elevation (something we don’t see much of in the Chicagoland area).

<br><br>A compass may be helpful when the canopy is thicker. Take your time and explore the area. You will find plenty of interesting artifacts amongst the vegetation.

<br> <br>Long pants, boots, compass and bug spray are most likely needed for this one! Please note there is Poison Ivy in the area.

<br> <br>Please help keep our parks beautiful and pack out some trash on your way out. 

<br><br>Note: There is private property in the area, which is identified by signs. Not all borders are marked clearly.</Groundspeak:long_description>

<Groundspeak:encoded_hints>Start here N 42 04.954’ W88 13.851’ (WGS-84).

<br><br>Last ~500 feet are off trail.</Groundspeak:encoded_hints>

<Groundspeak:logs>

<Groundspeak:log id="8487581">

<Groundspeak:date>2005-06-12T07:00:00</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:type>Didn't find it</Groundspeak:type>

<Groundspeak:finder id="393785">elmos parents</Groundspeak:finder>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Drove out to Beverly to drop off travel bug and see the first cache in Illinois, but all the gates were closed, we were there at noon on a Sunday. Any information as to when any of the 5 gates will open would be a help. We will try again a different day.</Groundspeak:text>

</Groundspeak:log>

<Groundspeak:log id="7931754">

<Groundspeak:date>2005-05-13T07:00:00</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:type>Found it</Groundspeak:type>

<Groundspeak:finder id="260733">Petergalembckes</Groundspeak:finder>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">I felt a pilgrimage was truly in order for this wonderful cache. Approaching the cache I felt a hush, like I was walking on hallowed ground.

Put me in a state of awe to be at the oldest cache in Illinois.

Now, if you didn't believe cachers were crazy before......[:rolleyes:]

Had a wonderful day caching in this area, thank you so much.

[This entry was edited by Petergalembckes on Friday, May 13, 2005 at 5:37:08 PM.]</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="7720313">

<Groundspeak:date>2005-04-30T07:00:00</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:finder id="95354">xafwodahs</Groundspeak:finder>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Found easily after doing Vial Stuff #2.  Based on the low 'GC' number and the placement date, I'm guessing this must be one of the earliest caches.  Very cool.  Makes me want to punch in 'GC1' and see what pops up.  TFTC.</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="7713205">

<Groundspeak:date>2005-04-30T07:00:00</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:finder id="140941">ssphoto</Groundspeak:finder>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Last one for my morning of caching.  I don't think I've ever seen a waypoint so short in name.  Must be an oldy!</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="7326763">

<Groundspeak:date>2005-04-03T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:finder id="300100">Cooper's Crew</Groundspeak:finder>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Parking lot was closed so we hiked in from Penny road pond. Neat area.

Beautiful day. Neat spot too. Matt took a quarter, a french fry stress ball and a mighty bean. We left a Chinese yoyo, Bouncy smiley ball and a turtle.

TFTC</Groundspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="156568">

<Groundspeak:date>2002-01-12T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:type>Write note</Groundspeak:type>

<Groundspeak:finder id="5518">Markwell</Groundspeak:finder>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Cache is in good condition.  Lot less ticks than there were in June.  Stopped by to hypersnorp IlluvianSeknetG, the Travel Bug.

His adventures can be found at the following website:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_deta...dspeak:text>

<Groundspeak:log id="21945">

<Groundspeak:date>2001-06-23T07:00:00</Groundspeak:date>

<Groundspeak:finder id="5518">Markwell</Groundspeak:finder>

<Groundspeak:text encoded="False">What a fabulous ending to a triple header (Geocache #41 and Red Bridge Wonder)!  Great weather and a great cache.  This should be the model for all caches - and how amazing that this is the oldest Chicagoland cache.  Please note that Shaggy and Scooby Doo are waiting in this cache for someone to help them on their vacation (see Scooby Doo, Where are You? at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3420).  Please hurry - and bring Scooby Snacks!</Groundspeak:text>

</Groundspeak:logs>

<Groundspeak:travelbugs>

<Groundspeak:travelbug id="91233" ref="TB16461">

<Groundspeak:name>Wally Green Monster</Groundspeak:name>

</Groundspeak:travelbug>

</Groundspeak:travelbugs>

<Groundspeak:exported>2005-07-13T22:31:50.3150467-07:00</Groundspeak:exported></Groundspeak:cache>

</wpt>

It returns the same cache general information, but it does NOT return the GPX information.

Pocket Queries would come grinding to a halt if this were implemented. Maybe if there were some LIMITED version of the GPX file that only contained the same data as the LOC, but what's the point?

I know where you're going - just return LOC files for the entire PQ results. It's an interesting concept, but I'm not sure how it would play out.

Edited by Markwell

what about a GPX file that contained NO LOGS, NO TB info and thus would be much simpler. not a different type of GPX file, just a file with a couple sections missing.

I would think that this would be an option... when I need a GPX for a new cache i just grab the single GPX file and process it, that is the only reason I would thing that would be cool, instead of grabbing 3 or 4 new files.

Markwell, you did not read my post with attention to detail. Your post has nothing to do with what I am suggesting or where I am going. What I am suggesting would return a subset of what you are currently accustomed to in a gpx file. I equate "gpx" with xml; not with being complete.

Rather than the volume of stuff you show above, my suggestion would return only the following for this one cache:

<wpt lat="42.090017" lon="-88.22435">

<time>2000-05-13T00:00:00.0000000-07:00</time>

<name>GC28</name>

<desc>Beverly by Robert Reindl, Traditional Cache (2/2)</desc>

<url>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1ab68474-fa78-4d45-90b0-55c09adb280c</url>

<urlname>Beverly by Robert Reindl</urlname>

<sym>Geocache Found</sym>

<type>Geocache|Traditional Cache|Found</type>

<Groundspeak:cache id="40" available="True" archived="False" xmlns:Groundspeak="http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0">

<Groundspeak:name>Beverly</Groundspeak:name>

<Groundspeak:placed_by>Robert Reindl</Groundspeak:placed_by>

<Groundspeak:owner id="13">robamy</Groundspeak:owner>

<Groundspeak:type>Traditional Cache</Groundspeak:type>

<Groundspeak:container>Regular</Groundspeak:container>

<Groundspeak:difficulty>2</Groundspeak:difficulty>

<Groundspeak:terrain>2</Groundspeak:terrain>

<Groundspeak:country>United States</Groundspeak:country>

<Groundspeak:state>Illinois</Groundspeak:state>

</wpt>

... and the entire file would include this for all the caches that fit the PQ being previewed. In other words it would only return the information content of the Preview listing not the content of all the linked pages. (I'm sure you have noticed that the Preview listing does not include short or long discriptions or logs.

The reason this should be much less load on the system is that most (if not all ) that information is in the index files (which is why the Preview is so fast). The only data that are not already in the Preview (see it's html page source) are the coordinates.

What you are suggesting is a sort of a "GPX-lite" file. Groundspeak already gets a large number of support requests from people who don't understand the difference between a GPX file and a LOC file. Adding yet another file format would only exacerbate the problem.

I understand the issue. But I don't think this is the right solution.

Markwell, you did not read my post with attention to detail. Your post has nothing to do with what I am suggesting or where I am going.  What I am suggesting would return a subset of what you are currently accustomed to in a gpx file.  I equate "gpx" with xml; not with being complete.

You must have missed the bottom part of my post.

Maybe if there were some LIMITED version of the GPX file that only contained the same data as the LOC, but what's the point?

I know where you're going - just return LOC files for the entire PQ results. It's an interesting concept, but I'm not sure how it would play out.

You suggested (as Hemlock said) a stripped down version of the GPX file.

What my post evidently poorly suggested was, turn back a FULL export of the PQ results as a single LOC file. Keep the LOC file format and GPX file format completely separate. Just enable the ability to export the entire results of the PQ from the preview as a single LOC file.

Wouldn't that do what you suggest?

Edited by Markwell

When people here say GPX, they generally mean a GPX with Groundspeak namespace extension elements targeted towards geocaching.

However, a GPX file is really any XML document which conforms to the GPX schema (at http://www.topografix.com/gpx/1/1/).

GPX would still be the most appropriate schema to use from a technical point of view as it is a living and supported schema, while LOC seems to be dying out; however, end users without an understanding of GPX vs. GPX files from Groundspeak would be terribly confused.

XML meets userland and doesn't handle it terribly gracefully.