Letting The Cat Out Of The Bag

ibycus

As a few, but not many of you know, there is more than one edition of the Calgary Geocoin in Circulation. I decided it was about time that the details of the mintings were made public.

Coin #s, metal, distribution

First Minting

1-50, Copper, Distributed at 1/Cacher who picked them up in person

51-1100, Bronze, General Distribution ~350 shipped outside of Calgary

Second Minting (Just got them yesterday, had minted due to continued demand)

1101-1125, Antiqued Gold Plated, My Personal Coin not distributed to anyone, most Calgary folk don't know about these ones yet, partially to be used as FTF prizes in my caches.

1126-1450, Antiqued Silver Plated, Local Cachers only (i.e. picking up in person)

It is pretty much decided that these will be the only coins produced from this die. If we do another minting, it will be with a new die.

There is also 'personal' Calgary Coin produced with the tower side of the die and a custom reverse for 'nicolo', numbered about 05000-05100 I think...

so the obsessed coin collectors should know the coin is done in four metals? :D

and are these the metals?

<snip>

Nope, those are the copper, bronze, brass and nickel silver. These were the original 4 proofs we had to choose from. There was a general consensus among the people I showed them to that the copper and the bronze were the best looking, but no clear cut one over the other, so we decided to have 50 minted in copper as kind of a collector's edition for local cachers.

Then after the first distro. people started asking about another. I didn't want to just do more of the same, it seemed kind of silly, so I asked pressed metals what other options they had available. For about $1.40 extra Canadian per coin, they could silver or gold plate the coins, and give them an 'antiqued finish'. Got a couple of proofs made up, and they went over really well locally. The silver was the flat out favorite though. I think I was the only one who actually liked the gold better. So when the orders went in, I asked pressed metals if they could mint me some in gold at the same time. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of the silver and the gold coins (although if memory serves, the picture I had didn't do them justice).

If you're around the last day of the Stampede (July 17th) you should consider comming by our "Rally Round the Town" event. That is when most of the locals will be getting their coins. I should in theory have 9 silver coins that are unreserved, on a first come first serve basis, and I'm certainly willing to consider trades for my gold coins.