Two Marks Not In The Db

motogrrl

Greets. I've now found two benchmarks not in the NGS database (that I can find, anyway).

http://east.elfhill.com/Images/UCB_mark.jpg

This one is at 37N52.295 122W15.594, at the intersection of University Dr. and Sather Rd on the UC Berkeley campus. The pic's not too clear; the name on it is David I. Russell, the horizontal set of numbers is 8 [something smudged out] 48, and the lower set of figures reads (near as I can make out) L.S. 3174.

I'll post the other as soon as I can get a not-blurry pic of it, but it's at 37N51.037 122W14.387, on the horizontal surface of the wall of a bridge near HT0042; it says STATE OF CALIFORNIA along the top edge, DIVISION OF HIGHWAYS along the bottom edge, and the center looks like this:

BM 32

[a circle with a slightly off-center dent in it]

What are they? Is there somewhere to log these?

Thx,

- motogrrl

Motogrrl:

I converted your GPS readings into NGS format and did a search on the national database. The first one is:

N37 51 02.2

W122 14 23.2

There was one exact match (HT0042) and several near-matches. There have been GEOCACHING recoveries during 2005. Look in our database for HT0042, and click the "Nearest Benchmarks" button in the middle of the page. Perhaps one of these will be the disk you found.

The second coordinates are:

N37 52 17.7

W122 15 35.6

No exact matches in the NGS database, but several within 0.1 miles.

Best regards,

-Paul-

This one is at 37N52.295 122W15.594, at the intersection of University Dr. and Sather Rd on the UC Berkeley campus. The pic's not too clear; the name on it is David I. Russell, the horizontal set of numbers is 8 [something smudged out] 48, and the lower set of figures reads (near as I can make out) L.S. 3174.

I couldn't view the jpg, but David J. Russell is a retired Land Surveyor from Mendecino, CA. So this could be anything, as I am known to set mine helter skelter across the area also.

There was one exact match (HT0042) and several near-matches. There have been GEOCACHING recoveries during 2005. Look in our database for HT0042, and click the "Nearest Benchmarks" button in the middle of the page. Perhaps one of these will be the disk you found.

PFF: yes, I was one of the people who found HT0042. This one's not either of those. Here's a pretty good pic of it, finally:

http://east.elfhill.com/BM32.JPG