Mapping Software Question

Guest bdixson

Guest bdixson

I'm am new to GPSs and after carefull research I have decided to purchase a Garmin Legend. My question is concerning mapping software. The way I understand it is if you want detailed street level maps you must uploaded them, via PC to the GPS unit using a Garmin MapSource product. My question is, can you use other mapping software such as Street Atlas 8 to upload detailed maps into the Garmin Legend? And will the third party map software funtion the same as the Garmin MapSource software. Any help would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks

------------------

Guest gstrong1

I have Mapsource Roads & Recreation & and the Topo plus DeLorme Topo & their Street Atlas 8.0. With either DeLorme product, you can upload waypoints & routes to the GPS, but CANNOT upload maps.Kind of bummed me out, but the Mapsource seems to do pretty well.I think the DeLorme maps are a little more updated, but no real problem so far with Mapsource.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest HomeChicken

I'm new to this also and have the same GPS (eTrex legend) and was bidding on metroguide mapsource on eBay then noticed that Garmin is putting out a updated version, which I will need for my consruction business.

I was wondering the same thing about cross using software but figured I would have found the answer along trime ago so I think I will stick with Mapsource.

eTrexLegendthumb.jpg