Pid Lost. New Reset.

Spoo

I went looking for OC0563 today. It was last reported in 1975. In 1988 the bridge was replaced at the same location. OC0563 should be stamped P 16, but at that general location on the bridge was a disc stamped P 16 RESET 1988. There is no such designation on the NGS files.

A Maine state DOT (MDOT) bridge inspector happened to be here today when I was. He explained to me that the disc was replaced in the same exact spot, re-stamped as RESET and reported to NGS as being in the same exact location which explains why there is no new PID listed.

This sounds fishy to me.

I have logged with NGS that P 16 was not found but that P 16 RESET 1988 is in the same general location.

Does anyone have any insights for me?

The bridge inspector may be right, but I doubt he had personal knowledge nor records at hand to support his explanation. He was most likely giving a reasonable explanation that he had heard given in other cases.

We've seen several reports here where the paperwork got buried under work that had deadlines and was never submitted to NGS.

If this were reported as he said, I'd expect the NGS to destroy the old PID, and if the data submitted were good enough then create a new one for the RESET. It has been mentioned that they typically downgrade the accuracy order when they do this.

Edited by Bill93