Garmin Maps

Team DuhNPookinz

Topo is focused on topographical features such as roads and streams etc.

Metro is focused on roads. With metro you get better road maps than topo but not as much detail about trails, streams and the like.

They have a different purpose and focus. I find I use Topo more for what I do. Others like metro due to more information in cities.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

If you go to Garmins website, they have a viewer which will let you preview the different mapping products. It's one of the best ways to see for yourself. As for a brief description:

Garmins TOPO are vector based (Line graphics) 1:100,000 scale USGS topo maps. They are derived from the metric versions of the map database, and tend to be about 20 years old. The age doesn't affect geographic items much, but can result in many man made objects such as roads being quite out of date. For the most part, road names aren't included, however the roads that are on the maps tend to be fairly accurate geographic position wise. It's the only Garmin product that currently has elevation contours. Maps of this sort are used quite a bit by people who venture off road on a regular basis.

Mapsource R&R maps are derived from public domain Tiger Map data. It tends to be anywhere from 10 to 15 years old, which can make them quite out of date if you're looking to navigate in an area that has been growing rapidly. The Tiger map data is also variable as to accuracy, resulting in a GPS showing you hundreds of feet to the side of the road sometimes.

The latest Metroguide maps are derived from the Nav Tech database. It is generally up to date to within a couple of years, and in most areas is by far the most accuracte product out there. Metroguide will also automatically build routes for you on the computer when you select the starting and ending locations.

Bottom line, TOPO is primarily aimed at hikers/backpackers etc. It's also quite useful for many geocachers that venture off the road, and oftentimes off the trail in search of the happy meal toys. Metroguide is intended to navigate the roads. Personally, I have and use both.