Paperless Caching

jeffnchels

More newbie help needed...

I've got my new GPS and have logged a few finds. The next step for me is to go paperless...

I bought Cachemate and I own a PDA. I did the search for the 20 closest to my home and downloaded them. I thought I checked the box to get descriptions but when I pulled them up in my palm all the fields but the title and coordinates are empty. Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Also, I've read some about GSAK. What functionality does this offer over Cachemate? I already own the mapsource software that came with my GPS (legend c). Do I need the GSAK?

Also, what is the difference between a *.loc and *.gpx file?

Thanks!

The loc file, which is probably what you downloaded, only contains minimal information like location and cache ID. You need to be sure that you download the gpx file, if you want the information to be loaded into your pda. Also, it matters what program you are using to generate your pdb file for the pda. Cachemate has it's convert, but I like many others, recommend GSAK. It cost nothing to try, and only a $20 bill after the first three weeks of free use. Also, learn to do pocket queries. These files, will allow you to download many, many more caches (500) into your pda in one single operation.

Edited by Team Madog